German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think one needs to educate themselves on the proper usage before using one. It's a tool that can easily be abused if used improperly.

Several good friends of mine use them appropriately, although not often, and are good about making it black and white to the dog. (Making sure he understands why he was corrected.)

However I do not train using aversives so I see no use for them myself in my training regiment.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Yes, I agree with Cschmidt88. I suggest you look up Lou Castle's posts or pm him, as he has videos and a training program.

·
Registered
482 Posts
All I have to say is collar smart.... In just a few sessions Diesel became collar smart the dog he is when it is on, is not the dog he is when it is off. I only use the actual nick function for a recall, everything else is the pager function. It is enough to remind him that if he chooses to not respond there is a consequence. HOWEVER, I was very cautious in my use of this and still am. I use it on the lowest setting possible to get his attention, and we tried many other training methods BEFORE the E collar. (Treat, praise, toy positive, mixed positive for the correct action with negative (pinch collar) for the wrong) His response was not / is not consistent without the E collar.

Each dog trains and is motivated a different way, so it is not for all dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts