German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an E-Collar that is waterproof. Would like to find one with a lifetime warranty. We tried the vibration collar, it did not work for him. He needs this for severe behavioral correction, or we may someday he will end up in doggie jail. We have looked at Sit Means Sit, but they do not sell the e collar. Would love to buy from them :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Do you mind me asking what his behavioral problem is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People come to the door, he launches through the screen to attack them, attacks neighbors dogs. Growls at me and snarls if anyone gets near his food, he drags me, can't control him. He busts through his crate, chases the cat, and the list goes on. My most concern is him attacking. When I take him to the dog park he is fine, well except the time a little girl tried to pet him and he nipped her hand. But other than that he get along with dogs and people outside of the house.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also should mention his dad is a trained police bite dog. We got him because we loved that. Hubby and I are/were both in law enforcement. But his behavior has gone from being protective to just mean!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm not a dog trainer at all.
However.. When it does not involve my own dog i do have some insight on some things because I have worked at an animal hospital and i currently work at a humane society so i see lots of dog types and personalities.
But it sounds like you guys need to work together with a professional dog trainer. One that specializes in aggresion.
You are doing the right thing to work with him and not wanting to give up on his life. Which is awesome! I believe 99% of dogs can be rehabed even if its not "perfection". Any dog can have the ability to bite, just some have a much bigger threshhold than others.
To me it sounds like he mainly is being destructive in the house? Perhaps he does not see you as pack leader and therefore has no respect for you. And so for the growling when your near his food its because its HIS food not your food that you gave to him. Stuff like this a professional trainer can give you adivice on. And i cannot see his behavior so i really do not know, but the trainer can see his behavior and help you from there.
Anyways, i truely advice you to do some research to find a trainer, it may cost a lot of money and time. But it will be worth having a professional dog trainer help you guys on your relationship and build from there.
My advice though.. If you cant control him and he drags you around I wouldnt bring him to dog parks or anywhere if he gets loose and he can do harm to others, just for now until you have control. And if anything. it would be for him, so he doesnt do something that will lead him in a direction either of you want him to be in.
I wish you both the best of luck!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...inating-e-collar-training-article-review.html

Leerburg Dog Training | 16,000 pages of dog training information, 500 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis

Dogtra is the one I am familiar with, you can buy it from the second link. The top link is one to a thread about an article showing the effectiveness of using ecollars to help train reactive dogs to stop being reactive. Some pretty incredible stories from Lou Castle on there as well. You can also go to his site Home, and he has some very informative "how-to" articles, as well as some wonderful testimonials. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You have the wrong idea of ecollar training. Its not a "bigger stick" where you shock the dog into submission. My ecollar can go up very high in shock strength but you dont use it that way.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You have the wrong idea of ecollar training. Its not a "bigger stick" where you shock the dog into submission. My ecollar can go up very high in shock strength but you dont use it that way.
The OP hasn't said a single thing about *how he trains his dog with the ecollar. Someone asked the behavioral issues, and he answered. He did NOT say anything about a "bigger stick," only that a vibration is not enough....not sure where you got that from....He simply asked for a waterproof collar, not advice or thoughts on what he is doing wrong.

OP, if you DO have any questions about training, the Lou Castle link I posted has great detailed advice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been looking for months for a good trainer for him, but have not found one with enough experience with GSD. I would prefer to go to a trainer. The one trainer I found, she charges 1300 Off leash. Seem to be running in circles with my research.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Are there any GSD clubs, sports clubs, or anything around you? You could also ask the local PD if they have any trainers/recommendations of trainers.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Why not try someone who trains from a different point of view? You've been doing whatever you've been doing and have gotten those kind of behaviors. Here is a great bunch of articles - I am trying to find her story of her dog Mocha Bear and how awful she was but there's a lot of good here anyway: Rewarding Behaviors - Article Library

More things to think about - your relationship with your dog and how it relates to their behavior: Articles | Suzanne Clothier (the basics on it: Relationship Centered Training | Suzanne Clothier)

On how to find a trainer: Find the Right Behavior Professional for Your Dog | Dogster

I would go in that different direction with my dog - I am not saying permissive, allow them to do whatever, I am saying work with the dog in a positive partnership - an insecure dog overloaded with messages is trying to tell you something.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Part of the fun and responsibility of the owner is the training. We have an e-collar from a sporting goods store. It makes a beep with the push of a button, a shock with another button, and double shock with yet another button. Has settings on it to adjust accordingly.

We have only had to shock a couple times.. But here is how you do it.

Say no...

if no response

Beep...

if no response

beep and Shock...

if no response...

beep, larger shock

Meanwhile saying NO! every time. The dog will learn quickly what No means, and at worse our guy learned that the Beep is serious!!! We have only had to shock him under 10 times total in the past 2 months we had it. He's learning quickly.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
PM Lou Castle on this board. He is the resident expert in E-collar training and he generally advises strongly against using them for correcting aggression issues. He may be able to give you pointers on the suitable use for this case, if there is one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts