German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
E Collar Used Wrong??

The trainers seem to think that at some point Midnite had an e collar on and his previous owners attempted to train him with this. They have seen others dog that behave the same way he does and they know why in those cases. What are some things that can happen if a dog is trained wrong with this collar? I know that he would have had to been very young for an e collar and I also know that he was neutered fairly early, maybe another attempt to slow him down, if they thought that neutering him would calm him down? Does anyone know of a dog that was trained the wrong way and it hurt the dog more then helped them? Thanks!!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
What is he doing that shows he may have had one used on him? Many people put ecollars on their dog with no idea how to introduce it and train w/ a good foundation(mostly for crittering or recalls).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Does anyone know of a dog that was trained the wrong way and it hurt the dog more then helped them?
Yes, lots. It's why I had a strongly negative opinion of e-collars before coming to this forum (and still don't much like them in the hands of the general public, because they are so very easy to misuse).

Dogs that have been "trained" by clumsy handlers using harsh methods basically present like abused dogs, because that's what they are. They react negatively in the presence of specific triggers -- whatever or wherever the dog learned to associate with fear and pain. Some of them shut down, some get aggressive, some cower and cry. Depends on the dog, and it's not always dramatic; some react with relatively subtle responses like stress panting at the sight of a particular tool. It's distinct from general anxiety/fearfulness, and you can tell most easily because the dog's reaction is strongly linked to specific stimuli.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I think the biggest thing you would see is a complete lack of any drive. In general the American pet owning public want their dogs to be calm and look for the owner to do anything and everything. The dog would tend to have its head down a lot, not really want to explore, and stay pretty close to the owner. It would almost be like a loss of the will to live.

Dogs are naturally very exploring, trustworthy, and tend to not ALWAYS want to listen. If you have a dog that's been punished for doing anything out of the box...it might not want to do anything due to the fear of getting punished for sniffing the wrong thing or going too far away from the owner. Many times this is due to bad communication and a lack of clarity in training...the dog never knew WHAT it was doing wrong, just that it was doing SOMETHING wrong.

This could be achieved with ANY collar or correction method. Usually due to the dog not being taught what not to do before corrective measures were taken. It is commonly referred to as a "robot dog" by outsiders or people that see the dog. The dog is always looking for permission to do anything, even when its "released" by the handler. It can lead to a very obedient dog...but usually not one that is happy to do the work that's asked of it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
It could be an e-collar was used but really, if you don't know it's probably not worth trying to speculate. I used to have a dog that acted terrified of certain types of people. A lot of folks meeting her would casually say "oh I bet you were abused" in her previous home. Not true, dog was spoiled and had a great home, great owner, lots of training. I've also seen or fostered dogs that HAVE been abused by a lot worse than a misused e-collar and they show absolutely no fear or hesitation toward anything or anyone. If you cannot confirm what happened to the dog, it's not really fair to guess. Train the dog you have in front of you using tools and methods that are appropriate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts