German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I'm looking for suggestions for an E-Collar to train my 100 lbs GSD. He has a broad chest and neck and very thick coat so I need a long enough collar for the neck and contacts that will penetrate the fur. I don't want a piece of junk, but I don't want to spend a ton of money either.

Please share your experiences, both good e-collars and e-collars that would not be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I recommend the Educator ET-300 Mini. It is very reliable and charges very fast. It comes with 5/8" and 3/4" contacts. If you don't like the bright yellow remote, you can get them in black. They retail for about $175 but if you know a dealer you can get one for about $135.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The collar strap is very long. My dog wears about a prong collar that is over 20" and there is more than enough length on the Mini educator collar. Brushing out your dogs neck will help with contact and the collar needs to be very snug and work the receiver back and force and try to separate the dog's coat from the contacts when you put it on. What will you be using it for and how will you use it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you know anything about the SportDog SD 350? I don't need multi-dog capability or long range. I need something simple and reliable. I'll be using it on my GSD that is very leash reactive to other dogs. He heels on and off leash outstandingly, responds to come and extended stay, sit and down and is medium to low drive. When we encounter another dog, all bets are off. He gets laser focused on the dog and barks furiously and lunges at the dog. If I didn't have a prong collar he would be uncontrollable. We also have a high drive Jack Russell mix and they get along great.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Dogtra E-collars are very good and around the $215-250 range. They are very solid and reliable.
Mind if I ask a couple questions?
How does he react to coming up and meeting a dog? How does he respond the prong collar when reacting like this? Does he ignore it?

My suggestions would be that you get a trainer to help you. A trainer would be able to address the situation much more suitably than any e-collar would.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I am not familiar with the SportDog collars. The mini educator is a very basic collar and I believe it has a quarter mile range. For what you are using it for, I would start at a distance and find the level of stim that seems to decrease behavior. Over time and as the dog learns decrease the distance. The collar stim can be set on continuous or momentary or both and I would use it on momentary pushing the button quickly to get a pulsing stim rather than continuous and as the dog decreases his reactivity the rate of stimming decreases. Be careful not to over stim or fry him as that could lead to more reactivity and certainly will reduce the effectiveness of the collar. Since he will be in a high state of drive aggressing toward other dogs, you will need a higher level of stim, but go slowly to find the right level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the dog 3 years ago. He was a 3 year old rescue. I have used a reputable trainer for basic obedience and transition to a prong collar. I cannot walk up to another dog on a leash without him going reactive, In that circumstance he's impervious to pops on the prong; I have to yank the **** out of him. My only hope is to reverse direction and get the other dog out of sight. If he locks on visually to another dog, he gets super focused and tunnel vision.

When using the e-collar to address this issue, when do I administer the stim, simultaneous to the command to focus on me or as a correction if he fails to comply?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think you would be asking too much from your dog to focus on you and stop reacting. I would teach him a sit and quiet command and stim him repeatededly as soon as he starts to react with either his body language or barking. Having recommended the ET mini, I'll mention that some dogs will become less sensitive to a prong correction or a stim from an e-collar over time, especially as they go up in drive for whatever reason. In my case, I want and have trained my dog in such a way as to build his driveand as a result, I am switching to a higher stim collar. The Mini is considered a low to medium stim collar and goes from 0-100 and during certain exercises, 80 was working, but you really didn't see a reaction other than compliance and his neck muscles twitching. I am not looking for a reaction of pain, but my point is that over time, with some dogs you will need a low to high stim collar. I think the Mini will still work well for your dog. A high stim collar is about twice the price of the Mini.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts