German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone is aware of any good e-collar trainers in WI, MN or even northern IA.

My past experience with an e-collar was several years ago when I had a black lab who was going deaf. I used a light vibration on the collar to let him know that I wanted him to look at me so I could tell him what to do. He lived happily as can be for another two years.

My research with using an e-collar as an training tool so far has primarily consisted of watching in Larry Krohn's videos.

Does anyone have other resources they would recommend? Ideally, I would like a good in-person trainer to complement my self-study. In-person feedback has been invaluable to me.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Larry Krohn has a book that is often recommended here on the forum, if I recall correctly it was very reasonable price wise.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
You could try the USCA page for clubs near you. They might be able to direct you to a trainer that can help you.
germanshepherddog.com

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Jax08

The 2 nearest clubs are over 2.5 hours away :( I emailed them, hopefully, they can help m locate some closer resources.

@Chip Blasiole

Pup has most of the basics obedience stuff down in a low distraction environment. He is pretty reliable out to a distance of 5-6 feet. He knows 'leave it' well enough that we can train with a plate of peanut butter and a plate of roast chicken breast in the middle of our training area. Licking the peanut butter plate at the end of the 20-minute training session is his reward for leaving it alone.

We went to the local university to proof his loose-leash-walk. We timed our trip when there was a break between classes. The sidewalks were pretty full with people staring down at their phones. He didn't have any outbursts. He did move ahead of me a couple of times. Other times he tried to linger. More work on that one.

I don't have any specific behaviors that I want to use the e-collar to teach. At this point, I am doing research to see how it might fit into our plan.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
@davewis
I'm 3 hours from all my trainers so it's highly possible there could be someone in your area that drives to those clubs :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Jax08
WOW is dedication.

I got connected with my local kennel club yesterday. In the warm months, they hold a weekly barnhunt with a local 4H group. I figured that would be another good way to make some contacts with the local dog community. Ole and I can also dip a toe into 'dog sports' to see if it is something we are into.

I feel like I am in the adult swim program at the local YMCA while many of you are training for an ironman. Got to start somewhere. :)

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
LOL Believe me. Every time I take the field I feel like I'm in kindergarten learning to color between the lines again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts