German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No need to get into a huge discussion about in favor or against e-collars, just simply need recommendations of good brands to look for.

Thank you

·
Registered
27,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I use Sportdog. I like it because it has 2 tone/beeps. One is supposed to be like a clicker feature, a "good dog" tone, but I never use that (not that they aren't ever good LOL ). I just always use the correct tone.
I love it, it's the 2nd Sportdog I've had and I've been happy with both. Completely waterproof and the one I have now is rechargeable, so no batteries to deal with.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Dogtra!

You can dial any level have just 'buzz'

Not a fan of those with limited levels because each dog is different

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I've had my Dogtra for years and it still works just as well as the day I got it. And I use it basically every day.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I like Gun Dog Supply- they have excellent customer service and if you call them they will guide you toward the right collar for you based on both price and features. What I've found is the collar you want depends on what you are doing. Do you just want to train a solid recall for off leash? You probably don't need as many levels. Do you want to train advanced OB behaviors- then you might want a collar with completely adjustable levels.

I train with low-level stimulation using Lou Castle's/Michael Ellis/Bart Bellon's techniques to start. But when that part is done, I really don't need a ton of adjustable levels- I'd rather have a "reminder" level, a "correction" level, and a total "avoidance" level (cut off a chase, for example) adjusted to each individual dog's "hardness"- if that is the right word.

So, for that, a device with set levels or without a rotating dial is better- for me anyway- than a Dogtra. It's hard to fiddle around with a three-dog collar and a rotating dial when all three are on a moose, for example. Usually I have gloves on, am out in the woods, etc. and the rotating dial on my Dogtra wasn't ideal for my situation. I do use the Dogtra for initial training.

I actually saved up and am going with the Garmin Alpha for it's tracking/e-collar capabilities. You can program that device specifically for each dog, and even set up alerts when the dog goes outside a certain distance from you or walks outside of a pre-set boundary. But that is probably beyond what most people need or want to spend.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Also- for what it's worth. I personally am not a fan of the vibrate feature. I know people like to not be "shocking" the dog- but my dogs actually hate the vibrate more than the low-level stim. I do like to have a tone feature for the collar- it's great not to have to always use a whistle or yell for the dog to recall. And for those of us who live in the north- a light on the collar is also a nice feature. Just extras you might want to consider when you are choosing the collar. For a one-dog model, I'd plan to spend at least $250 for a good model.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got my Einstein used on amazon. Got it home and used on myself, then my kids, then my dog to make sure I was using a level that was communicative, rather than punitive.

I completely agree with the statement regarding the Michael Ellis/Bart Bellon methods. They are great!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts