German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Quote:The real test to see if he feels it is to start the training. If you do 20 reps and his behavior isn't changing, if he's not moving towards you and staying there, he's not feeling it. The number on the dial or the LCD means nothing except that a 20 is lower than a 21 and higher than a 19.
Thanks again for the input. I'm glad I started with the 21 (even though I know it's just a number), as he responded well to it under minimal distraction. Under high distraction I had to go up to 33, which got me the "trying to flick the bug off his neck" response, but then compliance with the command.

So I'm not sure what was up with him the day I tested for his working level. He can be quite a goofy boy. Sometimes it's as if he shuts down because he doesn't have anything to distract him and he's not sure what's expected of him. He can just be sitting there doing absolutely nothing, barely moving, but it's like he's shut down in a way. I'm sure it has a lot to do with stuff before I ever saw him....who knows where he was bounced around from exactly or what he saw/did at those places. He still has quite a ways to go in the social area, and we're making strides every day. But the e-collar is working great and I'm extremely happy I opened my mind up to it. It will make training life a lot better for both of us as we go forward.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts