German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my rescue male GSD for 3 years and finally decided to address his dog aggression as a New Years resolution. He's a bit on the lazy side, but is excellent on and off leash and follows commands; that is until we encounter another dog. He focuses totally on it, lunging barking and ignoring me totally. I hired a highly respected trainer who taught me signs to look for that my dog is ready to explode and preemptive intervention strategies. One of the observations the trainer made is that I tense up as another dog approaches, telegraphing fear to my dog. We had some improvement, but I have to continue working on my anxiety with other dogs, and still have to be vigilant for signs of impending reaction by my dog. He has by no means been broken of his reaction. I have just improved in my preemption.

One of the big problems I have is when I workout in my garage and stake him outside on a 30 foot lead, at least another 25 feet away from other dogs being walked in the street. When he spots another dog he runs to the end of the lead, barking and lunging and ignoring my commands. I bought a SportDog 425X e-collar. My dog responds to 2 on the setting. When another dog approaches, I attempt to redirect my dogs attention before he can run out the lead and if he ignores me, activate the stim and put him in the down position. After 3 sessions I have noticed significant improvement. He still tries to run out the lead, but responds to my verbal down command 1 out of 4 times, an improvement over totally ignoring me but still needs work.

I am noticing he is also responding better to my efforts to redirect his attention when on the leash. I've had to administer periodic corrections by popping the leash, but haven't had to use stim. Hopefully WE will continue making progress.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts