German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I'm about to introduce my GSD to an e-collar. He's good on stay, sit, down and leave it and heals on and off leash. He's a bit lazy and is a tad slow in executing my commands. When we encounter another dog, he loses all focus, totally ignores me and lunches and barks at the other dog. The HS prong assists me in regaining control.

In introducing the e-collar to my dog should I start by issuing commands with vibrate in the beginning in a low-stress environment to acclimate him associating the collar responses with commands?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Can’t help you as far as using an e-collar is concerned, and I know you aren’t asking for other advice, but have you tried counter conditioning your dog to other dogs? If he’s reacting like that when he sees a dog, he’s uncomfortable and likely afraid. Rather than correcting him for acting that way (which won’t make him less uncomfortable), have you tried changing the way he feels about other dogs? That’s the best bet in the long run.

Others with e-collar experience will come along to answer your actual question. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
It's really just a matter of exquisite timing in order to prevent the reaction from occurring at all.Easier said than done.If the dog is already engaging in the unwanted behavior you've missed 'the window' and any stimulation via prong,vibration,or electric stim serves to get the dog more amped up.If at all possible a couple of one on one sessions with a trainer will be invaluable.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Don’t use the vibrate but use the lowest level stim to change the behavior which might take a while and will change depending on what drive state the dog is in. What you call slow and lazy is the result of lack of drive or incorrect trading. You might go back and see if you shape faster behavior unless your dog just has average drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts