German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
An e-collar is certainly a useful tool. Particularly in a high drive dog during such a self reinforcing behavior such as bite work. I second the suggestion of visiting Lou Castle's website. He, in my opinion, has a unique way of using the e-collar that can be very beneficial. More importantly, having been a trainer of police dogs, for a large police department, Mr. Castle understands the high level of drive a dog such as you describe, can attain.

DFrost

·
Registered
868 Posts
There certainly are different philosophies in dog training. Mine however is; when the I tell the dog to out, he outs. I'm not going to trade him. I wouldn't use a ball or a tug toy as a reinforcement for a patrol "bite" dog. I'm not going to throw a ball for him in actual situations and I don't want the possibility of someone else throwning a ball and the dog releasing.

DFrost

·
Registered
868 Posts
I understand what you are saying. When we train single purpose drug or explosives detectors or for that matter, dual trained, patrol/detector, the principle is still the same. Out means out. While using a second ball can work, it really hasn't taught the dog to out.

DFrost

·
Registered
868 Posts
In the early stages of training, I may use the rebite. I don't use a ball as reward for patrol dogs. I also don't like the idea of using multiple rebites with a dog working the street, as a training technique. When you practice rebites, I'll bet you have your decoy remaining motionless, working on the out. In the field on a real bite, you won't have that cooperation. To me, out means out. I don't care if the decoy is fighting or not. The dog releases and returns on command.

DFrost

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.