German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting an e collar.
I do not like them because it is too easy to abuse them. However I have come to realize after seeing them in multiple responsible hands that it might be in my best interest to get one either to proof off over distance or to correct her in the right moment at the right time.

Those who use it in ipo obedience.... what is your opinion?

I will windowshop for one since I have to save up money for one anyways.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I trained Karlo to one last summer(took us a couple of months to do the foundation and then proof). I worked with my private obedience trainer with it(she does water/field retriever training and competitive obedience)
It was suggested to go with one from my IPO TD because I wasn't being clear with my corrections and an ecollar would take out any conflict of misunderstanding.
So far, I haven't used it during IPO training. Because training w/ the ecollar made me a better handler and 'proofed' my timing, it carried over to everything we do.
My dog became more compliant while he was trained on the collar, thus his respect and biddability came up more.

I have a Dogtra 2300ncp and it is reliable, easy to work (charges in 2 hours), that said, I probably will not use it with this particular dog...it hasn't been necessary.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
As a lady who trains hunting dogs told me, "used properly the e-collar is a great tool" . I don't have experience with using it for IPO. I did use it to train my Sting not to run deer -and it was effective. Lou Castle is the e-collar expert here.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We used an e collar to train one of our stubborn dogs. The shock is adjustable so you don't have to hurt them. We tested it on us first. The e collar we have beeps before it shocks. He only had to be shocked twice. Both times he just slightly shook his head. Now if he hears the beep he knows to correct himself.

There are 3 buttons. One is suppose to be if he is doping stuff right. Using that just confused him. The other one beeps and if held down will shock. The third only beeps. We only have to use that button now. :)

I was totally against training with an e collar, but it did not hurt him and it was very effective.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use an e-collar because our dog is really ignorant to other forms of correction... an example of this is lead pulling. I could bump him, pull him, turn him in 100000 circles....nothing. He is now amazing on and off the collar and never pulls on the lead. The ecollar used correctly is heaven sent. It also helps with any dominance issues when they are young. Apollo would try to shoulder dogs because he was young, dumb, and filld with hormones. The ecollar on a low setting told him NO without the other dog needing to bite his face off.

And yes, we shocked ourselves before we began using it on our dog along with all of his office buddies that found it funny. Well... my husband did. I've already been shocked by the horse lines so I have a fear of being shocked. I rarely resort to using the shock unless I MUST and it is on a low setting.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I am thinking about getting an e collar.
I do not like them because it is too easy to abuse them. However I have come to realize after seeing them in multiple responsible hands that it might be in my best interest to get one either to proof off over distance or to correct her in the right moment at the right time.
If someone thinks that they might abuse their dog with an Ecollar, they should not own a dog. Abuse is not inherent in any inanimate object. It's in the person who uses that object to abuse the dog. A statement that a given tool is "too easy to abuse" makes no sense.

Those who use it in ipo obedience.... what is your opinion?
I doubt that you'll find a top finisher in any IPO national championship who has NOT used the Ecollar. It has far more application than just in the OB there.

As a lady who trains hunting dogs told me, "used properly the e-collar is a great tool" . I don't have experience with using it for IPO. I did use it to train my Sting not to run deer -and it was effective. Lou Castle is the e-collar expert here.
Thanks for the kind words Mary Beth. I've never like the appellation "expert." I just know a few things.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
If someone thinks that they might abuse their dog with an Ecollar, they should not own a dog. Abuse is not inherent in any inanimate object. It's in the person who uses that object to abuse the dog. A statement that a given tool is "too easy to abuse"
Well said. An object does not abuse. A handler does. Through ignorance or anger. Educate yourself, set your goals, work with an experienced person and abuse will not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
After having personally worked with Lou one on one to learn how to train with an e collar, I would highly recommend looking into his method. It makes sense, to myself and the dogs. There is no "I shocked the dog twice and now he knows better!" It's not used that way. The level that these dogs are working at on the e collar is so low, the average person would not know the dog is feeling anything at all. In fact, you take some time finding the dogs individual level very slowly before moving forward into any of the training. There are 127 levels on the dogtra, so far I have yet to find a dog that was working (without major distractions) at a level above a 15. When I tried it on several friends, most didn't start feeling it until 12-20. Talk to lou, he's great at answering emails.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If someone thinks that they might abuse their dog with an Ecollar, they should not own a dog. Abuse is not inherent in any inanimate object. It's in the person who uses that object to abuse the dog. A statement that a given tool is "too easy to abuse" makes no sense.

I doubt that you'll find a top finisher in any IPO national championship who has NOT used the Ecollar. It has far more application than just in the OB there.

Thanks for the kind words Mary Beth. I've never like the appellation "expert." I just know a few things.

I would never abuse an e-collar, I just don't like e-collars because I've seen them being abused more often than not. Especially in the 1980's.

I realize it's not the same times anymore, but it is something that has taken a long time for me to even consider the e-collar at all.

You have to give people time to become accustomed with an idea, especially since I voiced my feelings about the e-collar before. I grew up in a time where people used car batteries to shock the crap out of dogs and it was absolutely normal to do so because people just didn't know any better. So yeah, that has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I absolutely resent them. Not speaking of e-collars being illegal where I'm from and that too plays a major role. To me they are not something good. It took me four years to finally put a prong on my dog and it'll take a while until I can put an e-collar on a dog and not feel like I'm an abusive monster. We are conditioned to believe that e-collars are an abusive tool.
That has nothing to do with me not being fit to own a dog, so I appreciate if you would just give me the time to see it for what it is, just a tool.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I am interested in this also. We actually have used the E-collar for some problem solving when Cullen was younger, and it made amazing differences. I am actually looking into what the best one is to get for a somewhat stubborn, high drive dog that has a really thick coat.

We tried the Element ( sitting in front of me) and just not pleased with it. I was trained to use it properly, and the dog was trained with it also. I have heard that PetSafe had a good one ;) haha, but I don't know about that.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The e-collar is especially useful for me when dealing with multiple off leash dogs.

Lou's site it great, the methods he outlines are used by most top trainers.

But it isn't a quick fix. I'm always curious when people say "I shocked the dog maybe two times and now everything is perfect." Really? It's not that simple and takes time to teach the dog what it going on and teach yourself how to use it. Unless you are doing aversion training which is very different. As with most dog training, it takes time and repeated proofing with increased levels of distraction to train with the collar.

It's not a "quick fix" but it is a great tool.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I would never abuse an e-collar, I just don't like e-collars because I've seen them being abused more often than not. Especially in the 1980's.
I’m sorry but this makes no sense to me. Why would you, after seeing dogs abused with an Ecollar, come to "[dis]like Ecollars?" Don't you think that you should come to "dislike the person who was using the Ecollar? This sounds like a completely emotional response to me.

I realize it's not the same times anymore, but it is something that has taken a long time for me to even consider the e-collar at all.
Given that you realize that "it's not the same times anymore" why would you still hold this emotion?

You have to give people time to become accustomed with an idea, especially since I voiced my feelings about the e-collar before.
Again, I don't understand. You realize intellectually that the abuse had nothing to do with the Ecollar. You realize intellectually that times (and the tool) has changed. Why would anyone cling to an old emotional response that they now realize is both wrong and outdated? Why does it take time to "become accustomed [to] an idea" that you now realize is wrong?

I grew up in a time where people used car batteries to shock the crap out of dogs and it was absolutely normal to do so because people just didn't know any better.
I grew up during the same time and I darn well knew it was wrong! It's never been "normal" in my book.

So yeah, that has left a very bad taste in my mouth and I absolutely resent them.
But I doubt that you hold this same "dislike" for car batteries. It seems to me that your "resent[ment]" should have been directed at the people doing this, not some inanimate object.

Not speaking of e-collars being illegal where I'm from and that too plays a major role. To me they are not something good. It took me four years to finally put a prong on my dog and it'll take a while until I can put an e-collar on a dog and not feel like I'm an abusive monster.
Either you're an abusive monster or you're not. It has nothing to do with the tools that you choose to use to train a dog.

We are conditioned to believe that e-collars are an abusive tool.
I'd suggest that you rise above it. You're an intelligent, reasonable human being. Don't let others control how you think or what you do.

That has nothing to do with me not being fit to own a dog, so I appreciate if you would just give me the time to see it for what it is, just a tool.
I’m sorry but there are dogs that need to be trained that don't have the time for you to drag your feet. (I'm not specifically talking to you, it makes no difference to me if YOU ever use an Ecollar). Again, I don't understand this kind of thinking. For me ... as soon as I realize that I'm wrong about something, I change what I do ASAP. Why do you need time to do it?

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I am interested in this also. We actually have used the E-collar for some problem solving when Cullen was younger, and it made amazing differences. I am actually looking into what the best one is to get for a somewhat stubborn, high drive dog that has a really thick coat.

We tried the Element ( sitting in front of me) and just not pleased with it. I was trained to use it properly, and the dog was trained with it also. I have heard that PetSafe had a good one ;) haha, but I don't know about that.
What don't you like about the Element? With the proper length contact points it will do everything that you need. I prefer the units that have the LCD readout of the stim level but the Element has everything you need. Stay away from anything from the "big box" pet stores. They're junk.

For my methods only the Dogtra and the Einsteins will give satisfactory results. Other brands are a compromise. If you use other methods then you can use those two brands and add in Tri-Tronics and Unleashed Technology. I'd not recommend any other brands. If your dog has very thick fur, make sure that you get the longer contact points.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And like you said, I can make up my own mind and do not like to be pressured one way or another. Your post does put pressure on people because you sound like "either train your dog with an e collar or you have no business owning a dog."

My dogs are just fine without an e collar and since I have decided to stick with sar I probably will not have a need for it. So thank you. You, once more, have showed me why I just do not like it. You may be the best but an e collar is not the all mighty thing. There are other tools out there which sadly you do not seem to recognize what so ever.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
And like you said, I can make up my own mind and do not like to be pressured one way or another. Your post does put pressure on people because you sound like "either train your dog with an e collar or you have no business owning a dog."

My dogs are just fine without an e collar and since I have decided to stick with sar I probably will not have a need for it. So thank you. You, once more, have showed me why I just do not like it. You may be the best but an e collar is not the all mighty thing. There are other tools out there which sadly you do not seem to recognize what so ever.

I've never gotten that from his posts.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
(*** Removed by ADMIN ***)

I've written hundreds, perhaps thousands of times (MANY of them on this forum) That no one needs an Ecollar. What you've stated is YOUR interpretation of my posts. You're wrong about this, and Capone22, who has trained with me, said that she disagrees with your assessment of this. I use plenty of the so−called "kinder gentler methods with the dogs that I train. But I know when they're appropriate, when they're not, and when there's a better way to communicate with the dogs, with the Ecollar. You don't. Because of your history, and the fact that you allow emotions, rather than logic and reason to make these sorts of decisions for you, you probably never will. I've seen murders that have been committed with hammers. But I'm not afraid of, nor do I avoid their use. Similarly you have seen a very useful tool abused but instead of placing the responsibility for this abuse on the person doing the abuse, you've transferred it to the tool. That is neither logical nor reasonable, yet you allow it to control how you think, and how you act. Doesn't seem like the best way to go through life to me, but maybe that's just me.

My dogs are just fine without an e collar and since I have decided to stick with sar I probably will not have a need for it. So thank you.
Much of my work is with SAR dogs and much of that work occurs with people who thought, at one time, that they "probably [would] not have a need for it." Many of them develop a problem that brings them around. Then, when they see well the tool provides communication, and how fast and easy the results come, they say that they'll never train another dog without one.

You may be the best
I doubt it.

but an e collar is not the all mighty thing.
Yes, I know. And I say so with great frequency.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
The biggest positive about an e-collar is that the dog does NOT have to be abused to be trained. There is no spinal or nerve damage physically to the dog like having a few big men manhandling him with a prong and double lines. I will never let anyone touch my dogs that way again.

My 12 year old has had some issues since he was young that indicate some damage was done to him....he was a dog who had fight drive out the wazoo and would not out. He started out as a rock star and several well known trainers and judges expressing great admiration for his drive and work. Many mistakes were made with his foundation. I was in tears and was told the dog had to wash out of the sport due to the no-out. He would never title. I started over somewhere else with an e-collar and V'd in Protection. Perhaps the collar was not used as well as as it could have been....but he learned to out and to out almost too fast at first - I wish I had known better how to use it and could have gotten him to do dumbbells correctly as we always lost points in OB for fighting with the dumbbell...again incorrect foundation.

The e-collar is a great tool. But the user makes or breaks it....

Lee

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The biggest positive about an e-collar is that the dog does NOT have to be abused to be trained. There is no spinal or nerve damage physically to the dog like having a few big men manhandling him with a prong and double lines. I will never let anyone touch my dogs that way again.

My 12 year old has had some issues since he was young that indicate some damage was done to him....he was a dog who had fight drive out the wazoo and would not out. He started out as a rock star and several well known trainers and judges expressing great admiration for his drive and work. Many mistakes were made with his foundation. I was in tears and was told the dog had to wash out of the sport due to the no-out. He would never title. I started over somewhere else with an e-collar and V'd in Protection. Perhaps the collar was not used as well as as it could have been....but he learned to out and to out almost too fast at first - I wish I had known better how to use it and could have gotten him to do dumbbells correctly as we always lost points in OB for fighting with the dumbbell...again incorrect foundation.

The e-collar is a great tool. But the user makes or breaks it....

Lee
Sounds familiar. I had the same issue with Nala, with the outing. Lots of fight drive and she is a rock star too. Anywhere and Everywhere we go, everyone is in love with her and in the beginning it was impossible to get her to out. We took some classes with DZ and he got her to out within one session and showed me how to do it. She also put the E-collar on her (it was the only time an e-collar was on one of my dogs) and she used it on a very low stimulation. It worked like a charm.
She outs perfectly on a sleeve but with a ball or tug (she can easily go into fight drive with the ball or tug), however I know how to handle it and how to get her to out without having to bribe her but I wouldn't necessarily call it solid because for others (pet people) she will not give it up.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Your post does put pressure on people because you sound like "either train your dog with an e collar or you have no business owning a dog."
I don't think that's what he meant. I think there is a breakdown of communication between you two.

The way I read Lou's comment was this: "If you fear that you will abuse your dog in any way, you should not own a dog." From his perspective, it is not the tool that causes abuse, it is the person using it. So when you say you are afraid of abusing your dog with an e-collar, Lou simply hears that you are afraid you might abuse your dog with ANY collar, method or tool... and if you are afraid you are capable of abuse, you shouldn't own a dog.

And I understand that's not what YOU were saying. You are simply saying (I think) that because you are inexperienced with the e-collar, you are afraid you might make a mistake and hurt your dog with it.

All it takes is getting to know and understand the tool and its proper use, and you'll be fine. Don't let bad memories and emotions creep in, or you probably WILL make mistakes with it. Now, I'm saying all this as a person who has NOT used an e-collar, so I can't offer any expertise in that area, but I certainly would use one if I needed to. I think it is a very effective tool when used properly and can, indeed, save a dog's life in certain cases. I wouldn't be afraid to use it just because someone ELSE used it improperly or abusively, that would be a logical fallacy.

Having said that, I do understand the emotional part of it... when you've seen something used in an abusive manner, you tend to make a bad association with it and it becomes a symbol of abuse. For instance, if someone killed my mother with a hammer when I was a young child, I would probably always have a bad association with hammers. It doesn't make the hammer a "bad" tool, nor does it make anyone using a hammer into a murderer. All it means is that a very bad person wanted to kill someone and used whatever tool was convenient to do so.

For this reason, it really bothers me when people think e-collars, prong collars, etc. should be banned, or that anyone using them must be an abusive bully. It's a tool, people, it's designed NOT to do harm to your dog when used properly!

If I'm not careful, this could turn into an argument about gun control, so I'll just stop right there. :)

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I don't think that's what he meant. I think there is a breakdown of communication between you two.

The way I read Lou's comment was this: "If you fear that you will abuse your dog in any way, you should not own a dog." From his perspective, it is not the tool that causes abuse, it is the person using it. So when you say you are afraid of abusing your dog with an e-collar, Lou simply hears that you are afraid you might abuse your dog with ANY collar, method or tool... and if you are afraid you are capable of abuse, you shouldn't own a dog.
Good read Freestep. You got my meaning exactly. I’m not sure why Mrs.K misunderstood but I realize that I probably went too far with her, and for that, I apologize. I don't understand people who let their emotions control them, but that's my failing.

And I understand that's not what YOU were saying. You are simply saying (I think) that because you are inexperienced with the e-collar, you are afraid you might make a mistake and hurt your dog with it.
If that's what Mrs.K meant, I didn't get it. Instead, I got that she'd seen abuse with the Ecollar and that she'd placed the blame on the tool, rather than the abuser, the person pressing the button.

I wouldn't be afraid to use it just because someone ELSE used it improperly or abusively, that would be a logical fallacy.
Such logical fallacies make me crazy (short trip there). But again, it's my failing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts