German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've seen a mix of GSD and Corgi to get a short legged, full body sized dog so some people must like this condition.
Anything that gets attention and/or makes money has a chance to become popular.

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
The form of dwarfism, Pituitary, that GSD get is very unlikely to become popular since it comes with some major health issues if the dog even makes it to adulthood. Luckily they are also often sterile.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This reminds me of a corgi/chi and a TINY bit of GSD I met once. The dog had the worst most reactive temperament I had ever seen in a dog. The owner proudly told people it was a German Shepherd. I rolled my eyes in his face.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Why do articles say a German Shepherd’s lifespan is only 7-10 years when most without health complications can easily reach 13?

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
There are some Cajun BYBs in Louisiana that I'm pretty sure are intentionally breeding small GSDs -- like maybe 35-45 pounds fully grown. I call them Louisiana Littles whenever I see them in shelters. I don't know who's doing it, only that I see them coming out of South Louisiana (specifically, Acadiana), so I suspect it has to do with people taking them out on boats...but it could just be that's what' they've got, and they breed what they've got.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sadly, most dwarf GSDs do not live very long.

But folks who love the dwarf GSD look can get a sound, sturdy dog that looks a lot like a sable dwarf GSD. Not a common breed, but not impossible to get either--the Swedish Vallhund. Although some are born with a bobtail, others have full tails which are usually not docked. They are very clever, loyal, and affectionate. Some are quite stubborn. Here's a video that shows how trainable some of them are. The dog's mission--to steal the butcher's secret sausage recipe. Nothing graphic, nothing nasty, just good clean dog fun. A fine family video for T-day. And happy T-day folks!

You'll have to click on the link at the top of the embedded video to play this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts