German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've been lurking on this site for a little while now. Gaining some good information and applying it to my pup. Well, not so much pup anymore. Madix is a Dutch Shepherd and is 16 months old. I started flatwork for agility with him at about 5 months old and have continued training in that sport. He's gone to basic and intermediate obedience, passed his CGC and we also dabble in dock jumping when we can. I have become interested in Schutzhund and the other protection sports - and have been trying to gain some info for clubs around my area. Thought this would be a terrific place to gain those contacts :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i have no info for you on the subject. I just wanted to say he's a very handsome dog! I see the MP dogs all the time but usually see them in the dark at the gate. You're boy is simply gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
welcome and he's gorgeous !! I think Chris Wild here on the board is from mi and dabbles in schutzund:)) you might want to contact her for more info.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
Welcom to you!
As far as I know GR has no clubs, closest to you would be Lansing.
Did you get your dutchie from Cheryl Carlson?
If you aren't familiar with her/ she has a group that trains in PP, etc. in St. Johns

Oct 2 & 3, 2010 there is a trial in Lansing at the
Capital Area Schutzhund Club (MI) They have no website.
I'm sure you could make some contacts there!

contact person:

Amy Morris
Leslie, MI
517-589-5919

Trial: AD, BH, RH1-2, OB1-3, TR1-3, STP1-3, Sch/IP/AWD/VPG1-3, FH1-2
USA, USA/SV Judge Mike Hamilton

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome- absolutely gorgeous dog! There's a Dutch rescue I see at obedience classes, not many around this area

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Hi! Welcome!

I also have a Dutch Shepherd. Mine is 8 months old and an import. Did you get your dog from Cheryl Carson? I know somebody already asked that. LOL! I finally met Cheryl at the UKC Premier, but she tends to not answer emails.

You are in Schutzhund/IPO heaven up there. You should have no probems finding a place to train. I know a woman with a Laekenois in the Lansing area who does Schutzhund with her dog.

·
Registered
907 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I am pretty excited to have found this forum :)

Madix is from Christine Johnson in CT. He is a Titan/Balen pup.

·
Registered
462 Posts
WOWWWW What an amazing looking dog!!!!! Simply breath-taking..I too have no info for you but I just had to comment on his looks lol

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
AGILITY!

Welcome to the board, and I have to say that pup looks like it was made for agility!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I heard there some Dutch Shepherd people in CT who show in conformation. I took my puppy to the UKC Premier and there wasn't a single other Dutch Shepherd to compete with. So, 3 BOB, but no competition. My guy is the most athletic dog I've ever seen, and I have a Malinois. I can't wait to start agility training with him.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's extremely agile, and so athletic a lot of times I still find myself surprised at what he can do. However, he also likes to bark, and once his mouth opens in agility, his brain shuts off. So, I do a lot of exercises with him to focus on being quiet and staying focused. I have it nailed pretty much everywhere but at agility lol. We took the summer off (my trainer did) and start back up again tonight so we'll see if he's matured some lol. Another plus at looking at Schutzhund was the control and focus it would teach him - hoping that will leak over into his other areas. And I can practically feel our bond strengthening when I work with him on things that work his mind and body.

Carole - where is your Dutch Shepherd from? How old? Oops just looked at your website - what a handsome boy!! I believe that the kennels that were mentioned in this thread, are from MI and she shows her dogs in conformation.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I never knew such a dog existed. Wow... They are b e a u ti ful.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Yes, Boaz is from the 2nd litter from "Small Yard's" in The Netherlands. I fell in love with his father. And he's conformation lines.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Wow oh wow! I have never heard of the breed but boy he is a real looker! Welcome.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
He is beautiful!!

Sorry minor thread hiack:I have a question for you Dutchie owners: Are Dutchies harder to handle than a GSD? Or does it depend on what kind of dog you get?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He is beautiful!!

Sorry minor thread hiack:I have a question for you Dutchie owners: Are Dutchies harder to handle than a GSD? Or does it depend on what kind of dog you get?
I don't know how many Dutchie owners will reply on this thread since it's just a "welcome" thread. But, I think it depends on what kind of dog you get. I don't know any working line GSD's but judging from the threads on here on those lines, they sound pretty similar. The conformation bred dogs I know (there have been several in my agility classes over the years) are much softer than my Madix. I have met a very sweet Dutch from Cheryl Carlson (sp?) though. My dog's lines tend to be more dominant and drivey than the show GSDs I've had exposure to. He is line bred from French Ring lines though so I was expecting that :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts