German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're working on inciting our 5 mo. old GSD males to increase his ball drive but we're using kongs on the advice of our trainer. But we've seen some odd behavior from the puppy regardless of what we throw to be retrieved.

The dog clearly sees the objects trajectory with most throws and follows it to its impact by sight. He then finds and picks up the object in his mouth briefly. But he then spits it and commences sniffing around the immediate vicinity of the object for about 30 seconds.

It's not necessary to issue a fetch command for the dog to stop sniffing, pickup the object and return it after sniffing about. But the command does hasten his retrieval and return of the object for another throw.

My question is why is the GSD sniffing about seemingly in olfactory search for the object even though he's located it by sight and even mouthed it. It seems to make no sense to me. But it's a persistent behavior.

LF

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
He may be losing his teeth. Lisl did the same thing when her canines were coming out. She lost the last one this morning.

It might hurt to pick up objects when the tooth is loose.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It doesn't make sense that he'd be searching for something he's already found. Maybe he's slightly bored and would rather sniff? Have you tried playing the "monkey in the middle" game, so he's more excited about getting the toy?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
He is just finding the sniffing more interesting.
I actually throw my balls so the dog always has to use his nose to find it.

I am a big believer in two-ball game - I have played it with my last 4 dogs and have GREAT retrieves- and they all love(d) it.

Kongs can be kind of hard and heavy and sometimes when they are teething they don't like to hold hard things - I love the planet dog diamond plate ball. At 3.25 inches it can't be swallowed, is squishy, and pretty indestructable.

But here is the game
Two Squeakies: Building the Retrieve and Motivational Out

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Games

I guess I know what Monkey in the Middle is as my Son plays that with his swim team buddies. The "Monkey" almost never gets the ball in that scenario.

But what's a two-ball game?

Sorry to be so lame. I guess I had a boring childhood...reading too much.

LF

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Nancy added the "Two Squeakies" link for you in her post, for the 2 ball game.
You're right about the monkey never getting the ball, and that's what makes them want it, lol. I can't play that game with my puppy because he gets hysterical, wanting the toy so badly. And I agree, the kong might be too hard right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts