German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nyx and I went to the park yesterday for some long line work. Of course it took Animal Control only about 4 minutes to show up) to make sure she was indeed on a long line LOL! I've mentioned before in other threads that I bought a 50' paracord line at Home Depot for under $3, but it's only 5/16", so a little difficult to see from a distance. But it's very flexible and very strong, and has worked pretty well.

Anyway, after working for 20 minutes or so, I decided to take a break under a small tree. I was sitting and Nyx was laying beside me. I noticed a squirrel running around in the grass around another tree about 75' away from us, and of course Nyx spotted it too. No problem, just reminded her to stay...and all was well, until that stupid squirrel decided, for whatever reason, that the tree we were sitting under was his next target! The squirrel was completely oblivious to the fact that there was a dog there, even though she was in plain sight! When he started getting close I thought it made sense to warn him off by talking to him. He did go up on his hind legs for a better view, but came within about 15' of us...before finally realising he was in mortal danger! When he broke to run, it was more than Nyx could bare and she took off after him. I quickly grabbed the long line to stop her...and got rope burns to end all rope burns on both hands! Note to self, spend a little more and get a heavier rope that you can actually grab hold of! AND WEAR GLOVES NEXT TIME!

Attachments

Reactions: car2ner

·
Super Moderator
7,703 Posts
Ouch!Near sighted squirrels are dangerous beasts:)

Reactions: tim_s_adams

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Any line can burn. Nylon seemingly among the "best" for rope burns. Even soft cotton (yes I can vouch for that) will burn. Leather might be the best to avoid rope burns. So yeah, ouch, gloves help. I have a pair of fingerless ones - they are great for traction and hand protection.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have had more than my fair share of rope burns and that is one heck of a rope burn! Gonna hurt for a bit! One thing I try to always do is make sure I have the handle in my hand and good cushioned handle. I still sometimes grab the rope like a fool trying to prevent momentum.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Ouch! That's an impressively big owie. I use an extra long orange biothane long line, that I've knotted approximately every 18 inches or so. Dog rangers / animal control can see the orange line from a long way off, the knots give me good grip in wet conditions, and don't give me rope burn.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Ouch! Mine have never been that bad and still hurt like the devil!

I walked Rocky early Saturday morning and you would have thought that a squirrel convention had come to town, they were everywhere! He tried several times to go after them, and got corrected, but did pretty good for the most part. There was one suicidal squirrel that proceeded to dance down the sidewalk ahead of us for a good section of our walk.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You might want to look for Horse Lunge Line- usually about 30 ft. long, but my favorite is thick twisted cotton, 1" wide

circular twist with clip on end. I've had large horses bolt with that lunge line and not gotten rope burn.

·
Registered
11,405 Posts
Ouch!! I give credit to your dog. How is it possible to ignore a near sighted squirrel? She really did her best though. I loved the way you described the scene. Good writing.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tim, maybe you were sitting on his stash.
He certainly acted like it! LOL! Of the 15 other trees in the vicinity, he heads for the one with two dogs and a human underneath it...there had to be a reason. Either way, this was a painful lesson. The rope burns that were not down into my flesh have blistered and popped now, and are oozing, so they needed to be bandaged. And the deepest one on my left hand was bandaged using just gauze with Neosporin, so of course the bandage stuck securely to the wound and had to be forcibly removed last night...fun times!

I am trying desperately not to hold it against all of his kind...but it ain't easy LOL! Might be awhile before I feed any squirrels though...just sayin!

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
Want to add to the humor of all of this? On the sidebar of this page, where the ads are, I see one for Chewy's. On it are not only costumes but TOY SQUIRRELS for your dog to chase and tear apart :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts