German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is my disclosure, I am NEVER going to own an in tact female, and never have before, so I'm a COMPLETE IDIOT to females....

We are planning a trip to my In-Laws in December. We always take our female lab with us. This time were going to be traveling with two dogs. Jazmine AND Killian.

Here is where my ignorance shows through. :eek: My In-Laws have two in-tact female labs. 1 isn't supposed to make it till Xmas, she is really old and really sick. So there will possibly only be just Molly, she is 6. I was wondering..... can she get pregnant if she is not in heat. Were debating on boarding Killian instead of taking him because if we can't even let them play without having to worry about, well, the big hump, then I don't want to risk it. We won't leave anything to chance.

I've heard that some males don't show interest in females at all unless they are in heat and that is the only time they can get pregnant, others say that boys will be boys and they can get pregnant even if they are not in heat. I'm kinda embarrassed to ask my breeder this question. LOL!

So, if she isn't in heat during our vacay, you think we could bring Killian with us to Washington and be able to relax and enjoy vacay without taking turns in kennels the entire month?

I REFUSE to let him have any access to create an "oops" litter. I will not contribute to the over-pet-population we currently have.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
you should be just fine having them together as long as she's not in heat. I would ask your parents if they know her heat cycle schedule. If she'll be in heat or close to it at that time... well close to it having a male around thats not usually around could trigger an early cycle but i've only heard of it happening once with a family members dog. Hopefully a breeder can let me know if i'm wrong or not.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, thanks you guys! I asked hubby to ask his mom when her heat comes around but he keeps not asking. "Forgetting". So I'm gonna make the call, because we need to figure out where our money is going to go.....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ha Ha...that's funny.
My girl is intact, I am expecting her first heat cycle within the next 4-8 weeks as she is 6 months on Friday. Our trips to the doggy park will have to be put on hold during that time.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Some males will mount females even when not in heat...it's a dominance thing though and there is no risk of impregnation. I would ask the parent's if there's a chance she will be in heat during your stay because if so boarding is best....males can be a loud noisy pain when they share a home with a female in heat mine sure is,lol

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
No, she cannot get pregnant if she is not in heat.

Jax's Mom, it would be two months later -- nine weeks to be exact, LOL!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you SO much Selzer. Now we just have to arrange with his mom when Molly goes into heat. That way we can arrange what were going to do with Killian. I don't want a lab/shep mix pups on my hands, and if we have to shorten our vacay cause we can't take Killian, thats fine!

I feel silly not knowing that answer. Thank you everybody for answering! ;-)

·
Registered
866 Posts
If she's not in heat, she can't get pregnant.

Additionally, there's only about 3-4 days during a heat where the female is actually receptive to pregnancy - both mentally, and biologically.

That's not to say you shouldn't watch your dog like a HAWK during the *entire* heat, however...or even outside of one.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's not to say you shouldn't watch your dog like a HAWK during the *entire* heat, however...or even outside of one.
We will for SURE be watching them the WHOLE time we are there. Thankfully we always leave a kennel up there for when we visit, and we will Kennel him like we do here, whenever we can't keep eyes on him. I feel SO MUCH better thinking we will be able to take him as long as she is not in heat!!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
She won't be able to get pregnant and even if Killian decides he is in love with this new female, she will most likely take him to task for trying to mount her. Actually an older female can really teach a young pushy male some manners, she will get mad and act like she is going to eat him for lunch but not hurt him, and he will learn to leave girls alone when they nicely show a few teeth if he is trying to mount her.
Ask when she was last in heat and if she is in heat at regular intervals, then you will be better prepared to know when she is coming in again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts