German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Gabe and I have been following many of the post/advice from this fourm for some time so I decided to finally make an account. I am currently a college student in Texas. I picked up Duke from a German Shepherd breeder who had a litter of German/Australian Shepherd puppies around 3 1/2 months ago. At the time Duke was very young at 6 weeks and only 7lbs (I know that's too young to leave mom but he would have just gone to someone else and I could give him a good home) and had a very bad parasite and flea issue. Since then he has become completely healthy (if you don't count how picky of an eater he is!) and is very intelligent! Infact, he learned sit, down, shake, bark, and stay by week 9 with very little effort. However, I am a little worried about his weight as he is only 25lbs at 15 weeks as his mother the gsd is 80lbs and the father the Aussie is 60lbs. Other than that, he is doing an amazing job settling into his new home and I'm very happy to have him!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Congratulations on a wonderful pup! Pics please! Don't worry about his weight, pups grow at different speeds and slower is better in the long run.. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Well pics showed up after I posted.. Weird.. Very cute!! Is that when you first got him? Would love to see current pics

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
looks like he has a shepherd body type but may end up with an Aussie size.... if he's taking after his dad, then his weight is on target. a rough start and picky appetite could be contributors but he'll catch up. if he looks and acts healthy then weight is just a number.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
What a precious little face!So cute!Welcome Gabe and Duke!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For sure. I could care less about his weight as long as he is healthy. He also has a small Aussie tail and German fur. I got pretty lucky with his temper too. He has never chewed up any furniture, was pretty much a potty trained from day one as he hates going inside, and is very obident when training.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Super cute and I think a very interesting intriguing mix. Remember too that it is normal for a young pup to follow you are around and try to figure out how to please you. When they hit 4-5 months you will see more independence come out and he might blow you off then. Just keep consistent with the training. Sounds like you guys will have a great life together.

Best.

·
Registered
812 Posts
What a rocket combination (says the lady that decided to get a sheep doggie this time around). He should be a delightful handful when he grows up--intelligence and drive from both sides of the family, not to mention good looking.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
What adorable pup. Duke definitely has the GSD body but Aussie coloring. Oh man I have puppy envy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts