German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke is all puppy but not the brightest crayon in the box. He eats almost anything he can get a hold of, then throws it all up. Last week he took the tissue box off the table and started pulling them out one by one. We figured he was just doing puppy stuff and put them away but he takes tissues off the table and out of the trash (now up high where he can't get them). We took green crocodile away because he was down to one big bite. Yesterday he ate blue gorilla's head, more tissues and some yarn plus whatever we missed. I can't believe it's a nutritional deficiency with him gobbling down Royal Canin and assorted cookies. But does anyone have any suggestions, other than hiding all the trash and toys? We did find 2 toys he can't seem to chew up so we're making a little progress but he driving us nuts. Last night he was fussing around after we all went to bed; this morning there were chewed up tissues all down the hallway. He also take shoes and socks but doesn't chew them up. He also likes rags but we let him have those. Every time I think I got all the tissues he finds more. Best I can say is that he seems to enjoy me digging things out of his mouth. (There's an image...) What are we missing????

·
Registered
864 Posts
How much do you exercise him? Have you ever caught him in the act and correct him right then and there?

·
Registered
165 Posts
How much do you exercise him? Have you ever caught him in the act and correct him right then and there?
my pup lets me know if she needs outside to potty or play by whining and pacing, if I don’t pick up on these signs she chews anything she can get.

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
It's almost like having a human toddler sometimes.Until puppy matures a bit and stops putting everything in his mouth it's our responsibility to keep them safe.Unless he's secured in a safe place(crate?) or you have eyes on him he shouldn't have access to any of those items.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
He also likes rags but we let him have those.
Please don't let him have rags. A rag swallowed chewed or whole can easily cause an intestinal blockage that can be life threatening. If a blockage occurs a major and expensive surgery would be required. Also, rags...what possible toxin might be on them that could poison your pup???

A crate would solve much of this problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How old and Is this your first gsd?

my dog is 1 1/2 and tries to get anything he can. So I put the garbage where he can’t get it and nothing dangerous within reach. You can also train themto not grab stuff but if your dog is really young it willtake time

·
Registered
175 Posts
You don't say how old your pup is, but here is my take. Whatever age he is, he isn't getting enough supervision.
Freedom is earned. it doesn't sound like you are crate training. My suggestion, is that he goes in the crate any time you can't pay 100% attention to him. This way, you will catch him in the act of doing something wrong and correct him. Even better, you will catch looking at the shoe, and correct him while he is thinking about it.
If you do this religiously, your problems will stop soon enough.
BTW, his problematic behaviour has nothing to do with intelligence.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You don't say how old your pup is, but here is my take. Whatever age he is, he isn't getting enough supervision.
Freedom is earned. it doesn't sound like you are crate training. My suggestion, is that he goes in the crate any time you can't pay 100% attention to him. This way, you will catch him in the act of doing something wrong and correct him. Even better, you will catch looking at the shoe, and correct him while he is thinking about it.
If you do this religiously, your problems will stop soon enough.
BTW, his problematic behaviour has nothing to do with intelligence.
I cannot believe it took this long for someone to say this!
OP crate your dog, tether to you if not. You are putting him at risk.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
“Last night he was fussing around after we all went to bed; this morning there were chewed up tissues all down the hallway”

@Buckelke, you indicated your strong dislike for crates about a month ago in an older thread and how you felt about your dogs having free roam to protect what is theirs. Maybe your other dogs did just fine without crating but this dog isn’t your other dogs.

Only solution I see until he stops is either crating him (taught through the use of crate games) or confining him in a room that is devoid of everything until he stops the behavior and you can trust him that he won’t,hurt himself. Anything else is negligence imho.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duke is a shelter dog they THOUGHT was 2 years old. As the vet said, "he is much younger". I'd guesstimate him at just around a year. I do not think he ever had any training before. And a 90 lb puppy pretty much does as he pleases. He jumps gates. The doors to most rooms are shut so he's limited to the main parts of the house. No,he's not my first GS, had them since I was born and dad went out and bought my Ceasar. We're working on correction and house manners and making progress. I don't think we've ever had a dog that took as long as Duke to housetrain but he seems to have figured it out. I'm still opposed to crates so I guess it's just time and persistance. The rag went in the wash when he tired of it. He is a watch dog because we live in a rural area where there is no police only a sheriff that does not seem to go past the dead end sign. He's a very good watch dog that sleeps about 6 feet from the back door and that's where we want him. He's a very sweet boy that I think just got too big and too rowdy for someone once he was no longer a cute, fluffy puppy. We have the time and patience to work with him, I just wondered if I was missing something. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I can recommend the Barrett Ball and large Kong toy as ones he can't chew up.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Leash and supervise him. He is the equivalent of a human toddler. Rolf is so quick that he gives me heart attacks. He will chomp a sock faster than I can blink. Anything on the floor, he will try to gobble.
I’m always digging things out of his mouth. He sure is fast, too.
He gets exercise and a super good diet. But he’s a silly, enthusiastic baby and everything is new and fun. For now, I’m watching him like a hawk and trying to keep things off the floor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts