German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shiloh has been sleeping outside the bathroom door. I guess she really wants to see those ducklings!!

Yep, we got 4 ducklings last night. We've had ducks before, but one disappeared, and we had to give the other one away. When they were babies, Shiloh would lick them and protect. It was adorable, but I'm not sure if we should let her care for them again....

She killed 2 of our turkey chicks this summer. They wouldn't stop jumping over the fence... I'm guessing she saw some movement in the yard and just grabbed it. I couldn't tell if it died from shock or she broke its neck. My brother once saw her walking around the yard with a chick in her mouth. The chick was just shaken up, she was fine.

Last year, Shiloh got into the incubator that was in our house and got a chick out of it. The chick was alive, but later died of shock.

I'm not sure if we should let her know the ducklings so she will recognize them, or not let her see them. I just wanted to see if any one on here has had a similar situation, and your opinions.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would let her see and smell but not touch. Like a baby gate? And slowly handle them one at a time in ur hand let her smell them. And say BE NICE No Hurt. See how she does and very slowly allow her more interaction but on your terms not hers. And hopefully when the babys are grown they will be buddies. Anyone else? This is what I would do. Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I agree with Christen. Also, I don't know if you've worked on this at all, but when I have things I don't want Shasta to mess with, I use "Mine." It's almost like leave it but leaving open the possibility that I might share at my discretion (in this case, letting her look at and smell them). Whereas with leave it, I would want her to 100% ignore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts