German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to get all of Leyna's USA paperwork completed and will be doing dual enrollment through USA/SV. A tattoo is required prior to sending this in, ie the dog must be tattooed already. I want to get a number issued from the USA. How do I go about doing this? The paperwork is slightly confusing. The website says you can request a number, but your dog has to be enrolled prior. However, I cannot enroll until she is tattooed? :confused:

Help, please....

Also, anyone know any good tattooers in Washington State? :help:

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
You don't have to have a tattoo sequence issued by USA to do individual registration. You can pick any letter/number sequence you want and have her tattooed with it, and then apply for USA registration.

Though you might want to double check if microchipping is acceptable instead. The SV recently switched from tattoos to microchips, and chips are accepted for USA trials, so if they haven't already changed their registry to accept chips they probably will soon.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris. I would have thought they moved to microchips as well, but from what I have found out, they haven't. I did find a person who does tattoos around here. They do the majority of the litters here.
Leyna is microchipped with Home Again and according to the vet it can be read by both US and European readers.
For the tattoo, is it better to get a number issued or make up my own?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would contact the breed warden for your area and ask them if they can do a "Statement of Identification" for you. You need to have this paper to register your dog with USA or the SV. The breed warden can also do the tattoo for you.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the paperwork ready to go... just need the tattoo. :) Unfortunately, the person listed as the breed warden for my club hasn't been there in a while. Our regional breed warden is in Idaho, a 2 day drive away from me. I have tried contacting some people from other clubs, but if you are not a member of their club they want nothing to do with you. It is a little frustrating.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Call USA and ask them what you should do if you can't get the breed warden. I got lucky with my pup, the breeder did the "Statement of Identification" for me before I took him home. I just sent the paperwork in about three weeks ago with his xrays so now I wait.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you doing the A Stamp with Leyna? If you are doing the A Stamp then I was told by USA to just wait and do everything at the same time.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am doing the A stamp with her. However, we will be doing some of the puppy shows over the winter and she has to have her score book for them. I can get her scorebook with the microchip number but then when she gets her tattoo, I will have to submit all of the paperwork to make changes. From what I understand, that is wayyyyy worse. I want to get it all done properly the first time.
I did try calling today but the hours are off from mine. When they close, it's 2pm here and I am at work. I usually forget to call when I need to because I get busy. It gets frustrating.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would call them(USA). I just looked at my score book and when I sent in for it, I sent in the microchip # and his tattoo and they only put his microchip# in the scorebook.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try to call tomorrow. Why can't everyone be on Pacific Standard Time? :)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If she is doing conformation shows I don't think she needs a scorebook? I did USA and WDA with Nikon as a puppy and did not need either scorebook for those shows. In fact I don't have a USA scorebook yet but he was in their 2009 Sieger Show.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If she is doing conformation shows I don't think she needs a scorebook? I did USA and WDA with Nikon as a puppy and did not need either scorebook for those shows. In fact I don't have a USA scorebook yet but he was in their 2009 Sieger Show.

Grrr, that irritates me. I wanted to do a recent show with Leyna but couldn't because I do not have her scorebook yet. That was for a WDA show.
I did not get to call today because I had to sit through a loooong boring class that lasted almost 8 hours. I should be able to call tomorrow.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What would they need a scorebook for? It's not checked or marked at a show. I got Nikon's when I did his other papers but I've never been asked to present it, and my friends showed without one up until their dog trialed in SchH. Do you mean the certified pedigree? You do need the official 4-gen AKC pedigree certified by the WDA (but I *think* they sometimes let this slide with the baby puppy classes). You can get this without a tattoo as long as the dog is chipped and a vet signs the chip verification, I know many people who show and have titled under SV judges and their dogs are not tattooed.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Call USA and ask them what you should do if you can't get the breed warden. I got lucky with my pup, the breeder did the "Statement of Identification" for me before I took him home. I just sent the paperwork in about three weeks ago with his xrays so now I wait.
You should be able to have a veterinarian to fill out the Statement of Identification for you--that used to be the alternative.

I'd help (I've been a Breed Warden for about 10 years), but I'm in the wrong part of the country....

Christine

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Christine is correct. It used to be that a vet could do the Statement of Identification. That is how I have done my dogs.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lies,

One of the requirements for the show the other weekend was that all dogs competing in any event was required to have a scorebook. Maybe it was just that club, I don't know.
I am still planning on doing some confirmation shows this winter.

As far as the tattoo, some others I asked sent emails to USA. They still require tattoos but will be updating their system. They did not know how soon though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts