German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Karma is amazing! She learns so quickly, is so friendly, and so loving towards our little girls. She isn't 100% GSD (we knew it when we got her), but she is actually a 50/50 mix of GSD and Dutch Shepard.

We have noticed a couple different traits with Karma over the last couple weeks. My wife is a nurse and is home a couple days during the week. We have noticed she seems to be more 'calm' and even more protective when it's just them or even when our baby is at home with them.

However once i get home from work, she instantly gets a rush of energy and almost like she 'lets her guard down'.. She still will put her full attention to the door if someone knocks, however has yet to bark when i am home. When I am gone, and it's my wife there, she will bark until she is told to stop, but still has full attention on the person who walks through the door. Which is PERFECTLY how i want it.

My question are these. Does anyone on here have experience with DSGs? Are these actions something 'normal' of a GSD or something more of a DSG?

I'm just asking these questions because even though she is only 8 months old, she doesn't seem like some of the rest of the dogs on here (at least in my eyes). I haven't heard her growl, she loves to play fetch, wont clamp down on a tug (or hands) but will mouth my hand if i stop petting her and she doesn't want me to stop, i can play with her feet anytime i want, and almost seems to have the temperament of a lab when it comes to playing with my girls and or loves to lick the inside of my ears when i sit down.

·
Super Moderator
6,475 Posts
hi, i’m not familiar with the acronym that you’re using, DSG? i’ve only seen DS used for Dutchies.... are you referring to the mix? May need to edit the subject to clarify and attract members to your thread.

it’s also unclear to me what exact traits you’re referring to / question coming from her dutch side (is this a confirmed mix btw?) and what makes her seem so vastly different than the dogs you read about here?

if anything, a dutch shepherd is going to be at the absolute farthest end of the spectrum from a labrador.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Unfortunately I have zero experience with Dutch Shepherds, even in Europe this is a very rare breed I believe! Where did you get him from? Their origins and usage are very similar to German Shepherds, therefore their temperaments are likely to be similar.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
The Dutch shepherds I've been around were fabulous dogs, very intelligent and athletic, with perhaps a bit more edge than a typical GSD.

On the protective behavior you mentioned I'd think it's more of a "you got lucky" than it would be breed related. She sounds like a great dog!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I have zero experience with Dutch Shepherds, even in Europe this is a very rare breed I believe! Where did you get him from? Their origins and usage are very similar to German Shepherds, therefore their temperaments are likely to be similar.
maybe i used the wrong abbreviation?? should never assume lol..

We don't have papers, but we know the parents. Let's just say the parents got together 'without permission'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts