German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a case of Science Diet canned food from the breeder we got our pooch from. We have slowly transitioned him from all canned food to dry. The dry food is the same brand and type.

When we fed him all canned food. We took him out right after he ate and he would go. Now that he is almost exlusively on dry food now, his stools seem firmer and less frequent. Now I've had GSD's before, but always have had them on dry only food. So this going from canned to dry, I'm alittle inexperienced with.

Is less frequent stools with dry food vs. canned food normal? I'm thinking it is. Just wanted to reafirm this.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
In my personal experience and opinion, yes. Even with a good wet food, all of my dogs seem to have to poop more frequently and their stools are softer. I very rarely feed wet just for this reason; I'll put a few chunks in dry food as a fun treat and I have a few cans floating around in our car just in case we get stuck somewhere and it's been hours since their last meal, but I don't feed wet on a regular basis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts