German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I have one pup who's got this whole skin thing going on and I've luck on a couple of fronts.
1) antifungal spray from the feed store called Horseman's Dream, I use this regularly topically and it keeps a lot of the scratching down.
2) When he gets the seriously huge hot spots raw, I'll do prednisone (1- 10mg tablet daily for a couple days to ease up the inflamation) but most of the time I use Atarax (hydroxine - 1mg per lb of wt) for the itching. It's faster than the Benadryl for my guy.
3) I use Animax cream on the sores and it's almost immediate for stopping any yeast action or surface infection and the hair begins to return immediately (works on my cats too).
4)If the sores have been too long, I'll add Cephalexin (keflex) for infection control.
5) supplementing his food with the Fish Oil and Vitamin E as well as alternating days with canned Salmon or mackerel, and on alternate days from them I use cottage cheese or yogurt for their intestinal tracts.
6)Their food is Infinity- salmon or bison and sweet potato, Grain free which has helped greatly on all my dogs.

Just my regimen which has been helpful getting it under control.

· Registered
20 Posts
Correction to the food name...

Goofed on the name of the food below but you all probably figured that out... it's Infinia... been doing great with it.

I have one pup who's got this whole skin thing going on and I've luck on a couple of fronts.
1) antifungal spray from the feed store called Horseman's Dream, I use this regularly topically and it keeps a lot of the scratching down.
2) When he gets the seriously huge hot spots raw, I'll do prednisone (1- 10mg tablet daily for a couple days to ease up the inflamation) but most of the time I use Atarax (hydroxine - 1mg per lb of wt) for the itching. It's faster than the Benadryl for my guy.
3) I use Animax cream on the sores and it's almost immediate for stopping any yeast action or surface infection and the hair begins to return immediately (works on my cats too).
4)If the sores have been too long, I'll add Cephalexin (keflex) for infection control.
5) supplementing his food with the Fish Oil and Vitamin E as well as alternating days with canned Salmon or mackerel, and on alternate days from them I use cottage cheese or yogurt for their intestinal tracts.
6)Their food is Infinity- salmon or bison and sweet potato, Grain free which has helped greatly on all my dogs.

Just my regimen which has been helpful getting it under control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.