German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gosh, it seems I just can't win the tick battle. I've had really good results with killing Brown Dog ticks with Wondercide cedar oil in the house and on the dog. Then I read about using Diatomaceous Earth in the yard, in the house, and on the dog so I figured, Why Not? This weekend I dusted some around my baseboards, where Traveler lays on my carpets, and in his crate. I then dusted him with a total of about 1 heaping teaspoon.

Today his skin is flaking off! He has a bad case of Dandruff all down his back. What did I do wrong? I was trying to cover all the bases since these brown dog ticks are the only ones that can live their whole lifecycle in the house and mine is almost 80% carpeted :eek:

Any suggestions for some topical to lubricate his skin? I feed him Fish oil and coconut oil already. Has anyone heard of a dog being allergic to DE?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
DE is excellent but VERY drying to the skin. When I apply it in the yard I use gloves because I can't stand how it feels on my skin. I know it's safe to put on the coat but this is a reason I do not.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Are you sure it's the skin and not just the DE mixed with the skins oils forming a dead skin cell appearance?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GatorBytes,

That's a good thought but yes, I'm sure it's skin. The range in size and the discoloration of the skin surface from the clear skin area to the flaky places is further evidence. What a bummer for Traveler. He's itchy and tearing himself up. As soon as we get home from work I'll have to bathe him but that will make his skin even drier I suspect. I use Zymox Enzymatic shampoo and conditioner.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DE is excellent but VERY drying to the skin. When I apply it in the yard I use gloves because I can't stand how it feels on my skin. I know it's safe to put on the coat but this is a reason I do not.
Yes, I noticed it was drying to my hands to. His coat didn't feel to nice either but I've gotten pretty desperate with this tick situation. The cedar oil kills with a direct hit although I'm beginning to suspect it's not as much of a deterrent as I'd hoped. He's still picking them up although many fewer than before I started using the cedar oil.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Yeah, I tried DE on my guy awhile back and couldn't stand how his coat felt.

Rub some coconut oil into the itchy/dry area's or melt first and put into a squeeze bottle w/pointed tip so you can get better application.

Do you do an ACV/water rinse after bath? Good for the itch.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help. I guess I'll just stick to using the DE outside and only inside in areas he doesn't lay around on.

No, GaterBytes, I don't rinse him with the ACV/water. I assume this corrects any PH out of balance from bathing? What's the ratio? Direct application of CO sounds messy but the poor guys is beside himself which makes me so sad so I'll gladly do it.

VanBuren Shepherds: I gather you have experience using the DE? Are you using it inside and/or out? I'm asking since this is my first shot at using it. Since we get the tropical rains every afternoon, I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time using it outside. On the other hand, dh, Traveler, and I are so sick of ticks! I'm beginning to relate to that commercial on TV with the dog in the bubble run.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Organic Dog Hair Conditioning Recipe - Pets

1 cup ACV to gallon water - can go up to 50/50 solution.

The CO absorbs so readily, it won't make a mess....that's why I suggest using a squeeze bottle w/pointy tip, so get right to the skin and avoid it getting caught up in the fur by trying to apply with fingers:)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
This is awesome and works very well. I actually use a vinegar rinse on my own hair sometimes to get the hair product gunk out. It's soothing on the scalp and leaves your hair soft. Have used it on my boy several times.

1 cup ACV to gallon water - can go up to 50/50 solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts