German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I have a beautiful awesome gsd. I typically bathe him once or twice a year .However my wife decided to give of our boy a bath by accident with a different shampoo and it really dried his skin out bad. Does anyone have any suggestions to help? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Hi Titan123 & WELCOME!

You may want to re-bathe him with something other than a shampoo with GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize. If your dog is sensitive to grains, this could aggravate the itching.
If that is the case, the shampoo you purchase should not contain the following:

WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat
Sodium cocoyl glutamate is a mild vegetable-based surfactant (foaming ingredient) derived from from coconut or palm kernel oil and glucose from corn.

Herbal Shampoo’s:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNFJUDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

For a natural approach, Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, from a health food store can help with itching. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild herbal or castile soap (called Bronner's at a health food store), rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

Also,
Coconut Oil can help itchy dogs: Add 1 tsp. of organic coconut oil for every 10 to 20 pounds of body weight to your dogs’ food. Work up slowly to these amounts.
Besides promoting a good balance of organisms in the intestines, it has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties!
Purchase: Organic, Virgin, Cold Pressed, Non-GMO, NO Hexane from your local health food store (NOT GNC).

My favorite is Sh-emp Oil which has Coconut, Hemp, and Herring Oil all in one bottle!
Sh-emp Oil: https://feedsentials.com/shemp/ (use the email to order)

Moms :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the great . Reply so rebathe him immediately with one of the herbal shmapoo you sent the links for? Also how often should i bath him with the new herbal shampoo?Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
The herbal shampoo will, hopefully, remove most of the residue from the shampoo that you used. The Organic Vinegar/Water rinse will remove the rest and help the itch!

I only bathe mine 2 times per year unless there is a "real reason" to. :wink2:

Moms :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bathe my GSD weekly.

I use a shampoo that I make and test its pH to confirm it's around 7 or slightly above. Keep in mind that dog skin is more alkaline than yours, so you want to be careful using some human shampoos.

My dog doesn't scratch and you can't *initiate* a scratch reflex, like you can on most dogs, by scratching her belly, behind her ear, etc. She has beautiful skin.

I recently took her to the veterinarian office and the veterinarian who saw her said, "We don't see very many dogs that look like this." I'll take that as a compliment.

:)

Craig

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
I never bathe them. They don't need it if there is no medical reason for it. They are not people. If a dog smells bad you have to check his health and take him in for a physical. Also bad teeth can cause a nasty odor, affecting his overall health.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts