German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been using Purina Pro Plan as recommended by our vet, but I'd like to upgrade to something higher quality (and better suited to the breed, if such a thing exists—joints and coats in mind). Price is not an issue, so long as it is of a better quality. Supplement and raw incorporating suggestions are also welcome, though I'd like to keep the dry food in their diet as a safety net, assuming that it better ensures that their nutritional needs are met.

Both of my dogs are just over two years old and on the larger side as far as GSDs go. We keep an active lifestyle and they have no known food allergies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Orijen is a high quality kibble brand that you will find many threads discussing it and I personally recommend Essence too(same manufacturer of Zignature). Essence carries two product lines, one with peas and limited ingredient line with quinoa. I have good experience with the latter. You could check their website to see if you like the ingredients. Dr. Harvey and Super Snouts are two brands that carry supplements for joints and overall health. My Pet Carnivore is a family owned raw food company that carries green tripe. It is a superfood for dogs and can be a topper for the kibbles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My GSD does well on Natures Logic Beef flavored dry food.

If you have not already, take a look at what the Dog Food Advisor site recommends.

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
Orijen, Acana, Fromm, Victor, Nature’s Logic are all places to start. No particular order as some contain grains, some don’t, but those tend to be the go to recommendations these days.

I feel raw and second the suggestion of including tripe into your dogs diet.

Reactions: doubleroll

·
Registered
341 Posts
My breeder recommended Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice Formula All Life Stages. Oscar has done great on this food. Oskar will be 1 year old later this month.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We had our picky girl on Orijen until she went through a false pregnancy and wouldn’t eat at all…Added some canned green tripe (Tripett or Lotus) and she loved it. I was worried at how much weight she would lose…thanks to the knowledgable people on this forum we tried the tripe mixed in with her dry. She lost a few pounds but is starting to gain it back…
We also used Orijen freeze dried patties and Nobl food bars as they are easy to crumble in with the tripe…

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
Wondering if anyone has tried open farm ?
i have, multiple times…. really wanted to like them but both of my dogs stools nearly tripled in size which made me uncomfortable. it doesn’t seem to be a trend from reading reviews and talking to other people, but that’s the only reason i discontinued.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have, multiple times…. really wanted to like them but both of my dogs stools nearly tripled in size which made me uncomfortable. it doesn’t seem to be a trend from reading reviews and talking to other people, but that’s the only reason i discontinued.
Ok .. I will be soon trying their new Venison based recipe. Will report back how it goes with Trin. I feed raw in the evening and about a cup of kibble based on density in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
Reactions: AKD

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
We've had good luck with Royal Canin for German Shepherds. cured Lucky's bloody diarrhea, and gave everyone nice coats. However, Elke does not like the Sr version, she adamantly refused OLD DOG food. Spunky little thing....

·
Registered
460 Posts
One vote here for Purina Pro Plan supplemented with some raw. Typically sirloin or chicken. One raw egg per week.

We've done Royal Canin GSD in the past, with our previous shepherd, and any number of boutique type foods, mostly canned, as supplements to the RC GSD.

We got our current two from breeders who both used Pro Plan, and so far, our boy and girl eat it readily. Very few digestive issues, and none that I trace to the food.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Finn started out on Royal Canin large breed puppy.. he did well on it! It became scarce at one point during the pandemic here and I couldn't get it so I switched him a bit early to Orijen. He eats the Orijen 6fish version and has done well. I need to do more reading on grain free vs grain inclusive foods and reevaluate, for now he's happy and it's easy to get.

·
Registered
Zeppelin - 2 yr old black GSD. Athena - 7 yr old Rottweiler.
136 Posts
Wondering if anyone has tried open farm ?
Yes, my guy eats Open Farm grain free lamb. His coat is gorgeous and he seems very healthy, stays lean but good solid bone and muscle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My breeder recommended Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice Formula All Life Stages. Oscar has done great on this food. Oskar will be 1 year old later this month.
I feed that to all 3 of my dogs, a senior(11), a toy sized mix (3) and my 10 month old GSD, they absolutely adore it and it doesn't hurt your wallet at all! :)

also happy early birthday Oskar! <3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts