German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

I have my 8 mo GSD male(Still confused with his coat). I am feeding 1 bowl of Royal canin Maxi junior in the morning and for Lunch 750 gms of chicken/liver/beef and with Coat and Calcium supplements(Local brand). My Vet is suggesting not to give any Supplements when your Puppy is on Dry food because Dry food has enough vitamins and minerals in it. But I am feeding dry food only in the morning. My pup likes Chicken/beef (semi cooked) rather than dry food.
I am planning to switch beaphar top 10 multivitamin tablets and Drools Calcium syrup.
Could you please advise me if whether he need Supplements when his 40% of food is Dry food.(Royal canin Maxi junior ).

Here are some pictures. 8 month old 32 Kg 26 inches.
It would be great if you help me to confirm his coat as well. Long or True long or Stock. His tail is too bushy

Attachments

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
Yeah, when all is said and done, I think you will have a long coat on your hands. Lots of ear floofies there.

I know you are trying to do the best for your dog. But you are throwing his nutrition out of balance. He is growing and he needs the proper ratios of calcium and phosphorus, not just lots of calcium. He need the proper protein-fat ratios.

Instead of supplementing and cooking for your dog, either do your homework and learn how to prepare the proper diet for a puppy, whether that is home-made (cooked) or RAW (the more processing that is done to food, the more nutrients are lost); or buy a good adult dog food that is appropriate for puppies as well.

Royal Canin is good in marketing, but not a good food. Orijen and Fromm are the names everyone says are really good. I can't afford those, but I am feeding a dozen. I feed Earthborn Holistic, the meadowland feast has the right protein to fat ratio for shepherds, and is good for puppies. Diamond Naturals, Kirkland, and Victor are cheaper and better than Royal Canin, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba.

Learn to read ingredient lists. It's all a racket. It can't tell everything. But some things to look out for: 1. Generic meat and fat -- animal fat, poultry fat, meat and bone meal; 2. The same cheap ingredient listed several times: white rice, brown rice, rice flour, rice gluten meal. 3. Molasses -- companies that do feeding trials, if the dogs lose more than a certain amount of their body mass, something like 14%, they fail, so the formula is given more molasses to hide the ransit fat odor, so the dogs eat it. Dogs do not need molasses.

Before my computer crashes again, I will break off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, when all is said and done, I think you will have a long coat on your hands. Lots of ear floofies there.

I know you are trying to do the best for your dog. But you are throwing his nutrition out of balance. He is growing and he needs the proper ratios of calcium and phosphorus, not just lots of calcium. He need the proper protein-fat ratios.

Instead of supplementing and cooking for your dog, either do your homework and learn how to prepare the proper diet for a puppy, whether that is home-made (cooked) or RAW (the more processing that is done to food, the more nutrients are lost); or buy a good adult dog food that is appropriate for puppies as well.

Royal Canin is good in marketing, but not a good food. Orijen and Fromm are the names everyone says are really good. I can't afford those, but I am feeding a dozen. I feed Earthborn Holistic, the meadowland feast has the right protein to fat ratio for shepherds, and is good for puppies. Diamond Naturals, Kirkland, and Victor are cheaper and better than Royal Canin, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba.

Learn to read ingredient lists. It's all a racket. It can't tell everything. But some things to look out for: 1. Generic meat and fat -- animal fat, poultry fat, meat and bone meal; 2. The same cheap ingredient listed several times: white rice, brown rice, rice flour, rice gluten meal. 3. Molasses -- companies that do feeding trials, if the dogs lose more than a certain amount of their body mass, something like 14%, they fail, so the formula is given more molasses to hide the ransit fat odor, so the dogs eat it. Dogs do not need molasses.

Before my computer crashes again, I will break off.
Hi Friend,
Thanks for your reply. Sure, I will concentrate on his food ingredients. As you said, he is long coat. Yes, He has heaps of ear floofies. But on his back Coat is not fluffy or not falling down(too lengthy). These pics we took when he was 6 mo.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Hi Friends,

Lunch 750 gms of chicken/liver/beef and with Coat and Calcium supplements(Local brand).
How much of each are you giving? Is it cooked? Or raw?

I feed a commercial raw and homemade so same theory as you.

I give some sort of raw meaty bone like a chicken/duck neck, chicken thigh or legs. Then I add a couple of oysters (canned) for zinc, beef mix with liver and an egg. Often I throw in some leafy, green, vege like spinach and some other vege like squash or some fruit. Whatever I have in my freezer.

If you add in the raw meaty bone, then no need for calcium, you just need to make sure it's an appropriate amount.

If the food is cooked then you need to make sure the amount of calcium is correct for the meal, which you can figure out with NRC guidelines. But it's easier to just give the bone.

I would not add in extra vitamins and minerals but do keep him on his kibble and balance his meal better with whole foods.

The conversion of gm to oz is 26 oz. that's a lot of food so just watch his weight and adjust when necessary.. Homemade food has a tendency to be higher in calories and fat.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
OP, where are you located? Based on the mention of Drools, I'm guessing maybe India?

Before people start bashing Royal Canin, I want to find out where you are -- in the past, we've seen that RC was actually far and away the best option sold in the part of the world where the poster lived. It's at least formulated according to U.S./Canadian/E.U. nutritional standards....and local options in some parts of the world just aren't as regulated. We want to give you advice based on your location and what's available in your market.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
OP, where are you located? Based on the mention of Drools, I'm guessing maybe India?

Before people start bashing Royal Canin, I want to find out where you are -- in the past, we've seen that RC was actually far and away the best option sold in the part of the world where the poster lived. It's at least formulated according to U.S./Canadian/E.U. nutritional standards....and local options in some parts of the world just aren't as regulated. We want to give you advice based on your location and what's available in your market.

This ^^^^for the kibble. My guess is India as well.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I think for my next pup, if any, I would keep him on a good quality kibble that is appropriate for his age and size for at least a full year after adoption. Probably will add an occasional meaty bone but not as part of the diet.
OP, he looks really nice. I wouldn't change much but maybe consider increasing his kibble and feed some raw occasionally, like once a week (eliminating cooked).
I agree that RC might be the best option for you. Evidently the dog is looking great.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Be careful with calcium and other supplements on an 8 mo old GSD puppy. This period of growth is critical. Don't mess with it. You can overdo it and ruin your dog.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Friend,
Thanks for your reply. I am Ok to keep him under Kibbles only. But he doesn't like it. In between i switched to Farmina NandD Grain Free Pumpkin Lamb and Blueberry Puppy Food same reaction. Even every Morning RC kibble also I have to hand feed him or he needs some one to sit near to him to finish it. But semi cooked chicken/liver/beef within 2 minutes he will finish and lick the plate :) I am feeding 750 gm of chicken and 200 gm of Kibble. If I am keeping him under kibbles only I may not worry about Calcium and vitamin supplement.
Yes I am from India :)
Prescription in Calcium supplement says 1 table spoon per 22lbs as he is 70 lbs and 26 inches tall. Instead of feeding 3 table spoon shall i feed 1.5table spoon as he is getting some calcium through his Kibble and semi cooked meat
How about beaphar top 10 multivitamin?

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Honestly, you would be better off just mixing some of the cooked chicken and beef with the kibble.

The calcium should be balanced within the food, not given per weight of the dog. The food should have a certain percentage of calcium. How many mg of calcium is there per tablespoon? How much beef? How much chicken? How much liver? Nobody can answer your questions without knowing exactly what you are feeding him.

You do not need added vitamins. Period.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I give 2 meal per day morning and after noon
200 gm Kibble daily morning
750 gm of chicken or 750 gm of liver or 750 gm of beef for lunch
along with lunch meal i used to add 1 small carrot or a slice of beetroot.

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
He's a coat, just not mature yet. It will grow.

Raw meaty bones, will be better than ANY calcium supplement. If you give the bones with the meat, than the calcium phosphorus is balanced, naturally, and you don't have to worry about it.

I know that you can dry egg shells out and grind it up as good source of animal-based calcium, but you shouldn't need to, too much calcium or calcium out of balance with phosphorus will cause problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks my Friend,
You mean "Coat = Long coat"? I will try to feed raw bones. I tried some time ago. But he is playing with that. One more Question He is 8 mo old. DOB - 25/12/2018. His testicles dropped but not fully i mean (not 2 inches from his body). Any idea when it will be dropped fully i mean( I can see it between his legs). he has heaps of hair at that area. Don't take me wrong. This one i took when he was 7 mo old

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was feeding my puppy raw, but he got sick. I think personally, raw is good but you got to be careful it's handled properly and area is cleaned where he eats. Moreover, my puppy might be sick from the kennel. Anyways, if dog food is harder to maintain for you then make sure you handle raw food appropriately. Supplements are mostly harmful if dog is fed with proper food. Most of the times the supplements don't even work. Also, supplements might be better for a dog if he was malnourished and is gaining back health. As long as your dog is playful, alert and have good digestion, he is set IMO.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks my Friend,
You mean "Coat = Long coat"? I will try to feed raw bones. I tried some time ago. But he is playing with that. One more Question He is 8 mo old. DOB - 25/12/2018. His testicles dropped but not fully i mean (not 2 inches from his body). Any idea when it will be dropped fully i mean( I can see it between his legs). he has heaps of hair at that area. Don't take me wrong. This one i took when he was 7 mo old
Coat is for Long coat. Your dog most likely is Long Coat. Not all long coats have LONG hairs, but he falls into long coat category. He may develop some longer hair that may not be as long as other long coats you see. But he will most likely develop longer hair than what he has now. Wait till he is 2 years. Testicles shrink and expand. Plus he is not an adult dog yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Friend,
Thanks for your reply. I am Ok to keep him under Kibbles only. But he doesn't like it. In between i switched to Farmina NandD Grain Free Pumpkin Lamb and Blueberry Puppy Food same reaction. Even every Morning RC kibble also I have to hand feed him or he needs some one to sit near to him to finish it. But semi cooked chicken/liver/beef within 2 minutes he will finish and lick the plate :) I am feeding 750 gm of chicken and 200 gm of Kibble. If I am keeping him under kibbles only I may not worry about Calcium and vitamin supplement.
Prescription in Calcium supplement says 1 table spoon per 22lbs as he is 70 lbs and 26 inches tall. Instead of feeding 3 table spoon shall i feed 1.5table spoon as he is getting some calcium through his Kibble and semi cooked meat
You have a picky eater. I had same situation with my other dog. He would not eat his kibble very much. You could try mixing some chicken broth (homemade) and see if it works. I mixed some boiled rice that was boiled in chicken broth and added boiled boneless chicken pieces and rice into kibble and my dog ate it. He was very very large at 7 month. His pedigree:

Samuel vom Novakhaus

Attachments

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
Thanks my Friend,
Hmmmm. Why are you worried about his testicles? If they are present, that is all you need to know at this point. Testicles go up and down. It is actually quite interesting how God created that system. The testicles constantly create sperm (the bitch has her eggs from the beginning). But it takes I think 63 days for the sperm to be created. While this is happening if they get too hot, or too cold they will be deformed and not produce puppies. So the testicles go up and stay close to the body when it is cold out and hangs down away from the body when it is hot. It is still possible to ruin sperm by letting them be under extreme conditions, like a show dog owner, constantly bombarding the dog with hair dryers. Killed off his sperm. They figured it out, and laying off the hair dryers, the dog was able to produce. But the dog's body generally naturally regulates the temperature for those sperm. If you aren't planning on breeding, there is certainly no reason to worry about it. You've seen them, they exist. Oh, and there is this ring that closes, probably already has for your dog. If the testicles are UP inside there when that ring closes, you can have a monorchid or cryptorchid dog. And then, they can still be productive. But, then the dog needs to be neutered at maturity because while he may not be more likely to have testicular cancer, it will be nearly impossible to detect it in time if he does, and the risk of testicular torsion. But I think you are past that. So leave his berries alone!

·
Banned
4 Posts
Dog Harness is good

Hi Friend,
hey, Please do not use dog leash. kindly buy dog harness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts