German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my 6.5 mo gsd Innova Puppy large breed dry food and wondered what the benefits of adding wet canned food are?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Flavor, variety...I add canned to my dogs food. I also feed "extras" like fresh meats, eggs, cottage cheese, goat cheese, yogurt, ect.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Canned food does have it's place. It is a great source of moisture which can be good for a dog who doesn't drink enough water. (Which is often the case with kibble fed dogs)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Flavor and variety, moisture. I use canned food as treats sometimes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use Innova as well because it doesn't have beef or wheat (at least the green bag) both of which were suspects in my dog's allergy problems. The problem disappeared so it worked.

I do add a table spoon or so of canned Innova for aroma along with a little water. I really don't care about the cost which is probably $100 a year.
My dogs definitely enjoy it a lot more than just a bowl full of dry food.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I use Innova as well because it doesn't have beef or wheat (at least the green bag) both of which were suspects in my dog's allergy problems. The problem disappeared so it worked.

I do add a table spoon or so of canned Innova for aroma along with a little water. I really don't care about the cost which is probably $100 a year.
My dogs definitely enjoy it a lot more than just a bowl full of dry food.

How do you know he enjoys it more?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I think I spend MAYBE $50 tops a year in canned food.

I don't feed anything that cost more than $1. Typically it's Authority brand but if other brands are on sale, I'll feed those too. 1 can last me a good week between both my dogs. :S I do however mix the canned food with some water within the can to stretch it. I use a little bit to give morning and night pills to my dogs and then Chance gets a tablespoon mixed in with his kibble and Zoey gets a teaspoon mixed in. Sometimes I do feed them plain kibble though when I'm lazy. xD

Even though they don't get much, my dogs LOVE the canned food mixed in. (But also eat plain kibble just fine)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Are you really going to go there?

When I put Ozzy's dish in front of him, he gets excited. Then he sees that there's no canned food mixed in with his kibble, or that it's not all canned food and he looks like a sad little kid that got a stick of celery instead of a Happy Meal. Then he goes on to pitifully eat his can-less meal.

Then when there's canned food in it, he pretends there's edible gold in there and there's no way you're getting him away from that food dish unless you physically move him from it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think this would be painfully obvious! How would they NOT know he enjoys it more?? If the dog scarfs down the canned mix, but isn't very interested in the dry kibble...or however that individual scenario plays out...its pretty easy to figure out.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Zoey is excited about -any- food. But Zoey will eat used tampons and roach poison so I don't think she cares regardless as long as she can put it in her mouth.

However with Chance, when he see's that can of food come out he's literally bouncing around and doing circles waiting outside of the kitchen. Not to mention, anytime he see's he's getting canned food, when he is released to eat, he ends up running so fast to his bowl he often ends up sliding across the kitchen floor and slamming into the wall or fridge. When he's just getting plain kibble he just walks over to it.

I'd say his excitement level when he does and doesn't see the canned food is a good way to determine he enjoys it more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is very helpful. Thanks.

I also was asking because in the morning Sasha isn't intrested in eating until maybe 8 or 9am, after she has been outside running or playing. It's almost like she needs to work up an appettite. Recently she hasn't been able to run outside because we had her spayed 11 days ago and her stiches haven't come out yet, but they do today. So I have a feeling she will be ready to go tonight.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
That could def be a problem. It's funny cause there was actually an episode of The Dog Whisper (Not a big fan but watch out of pure boredom a lot lol) on earlier which touched on the subject of a picky dog. The solution for the Newfie who wouldn't eat (The owners were even cooking for the dog and the dog -still- never wanted to eat.) was working up an appetite though exercise. :) (And limiting treats to only twice a week!) After that, the dog inhaled anything you gave him. (Ceaser was feeding the dog Innova (green bag) with extra meats hand mixed in)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
he's literally bouncing around and doing circles waiting outside of the kitchen....., he ends up running so fast to his bowl he often ends up sliding across the kitchen floor and slamming into the wall or fridge. .
My husband does the same thing when I make spaghetti and meatballs. :D

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I feed my 6.5 mo gsd Innova Puppy large breed dry food and wondered what the benefits of adding wet canned food are?
My dog was just inhaling his food and a poster on another board told me I should try adding a little canned and it might slow him down. It worked great and now he eats at a much slower rate. I add a little water, to make it look like sand and then mix it up really good. Sometimes I zap it in the microwave to make it easy to mix. I use 1/3 of a can because I was told you should not keep dog food longer than 3 days.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I read that canned food mixed with dry reduces the chance of bloat. I know there are lots of studies and conflicting reports about what does and doesn't cause bloat. I have known 7 GSD's in my life. They had different owners, except my 3, different lines, none of them were related, none of them had any health or digestive problems, and all of them lived to age 12 and older. The common denominator in all of them was that they were all fed dry mixed with canned food. That's why I feed Wolfie a little canned mixed with dry. It can't hurt him, and may actually be a good thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts