• Yes, 100%

• Nah, definitely has something else mixed in

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keystone is a rescue, I have a bit of info about his life before he came to me but those details will follow later as i don’t want to sway anyone’s opinions on breed. I had a dna test done through Wisdom Panel awhile back and have just been lazy about posting the results here.

Stats: 22.5” tall, 57lbs, 7yrs old (except for the first photo at 7months). i have also posted a video so that you can see his movement:

For those of you who think he isn’t purebred... what other breeds do you see?

1. Labrador Retriever
2. Belgian Malinois
3. Norwegian Elkhound
4. Border Collie
5. Australian Cattle Dog
6. Cardigan Welsh Corgi
7. Other

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Huh. I'm not sure. Colors, face, tail says purebred. The third photo overall body...doesn't. Interested to see what others say!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks pure bred but if DNA says otherwise, then from your list I would say Malinois or Elk Hound but looking at 5th picture, I would say chipmonk

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ha, in the 5th picture he looks just like a Corgi!! ? I would say purebred or very high content anyways. Maybe a little bit of a mix or malinois, but he looks very GSD like in my opinion. If he wasn't on the smaller size I probably wouldn't question it at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
My guess is cattle dog or elkhound is possible because of the flattish back and back legs

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I think a wee bit elk hound too...but I'm completely talking out of my butt.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'm going with pure, or too close to call to pure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gorgeous dog!! High Content GSD. PSA, lot of people who used Wisdom and then later used Embark, thought the
Wisdom results were not as accurate as Embark. Just sayin- your results may not be 100% accurate.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm think there's lot's of GSD. But...I think there's also something else. I can't put my finger on it.

Do you already know the answer, @Fodder ?

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The third photo overall body...doesn't.
yeah, that’s why i intentionally included that photo, without attempting any sort of stack, as well as a movement video/still. i mean, that’s his body type but if he’s moving or not in full coat or if his head is lowered a tad, he can look very different.
...but looking at 5th picture, I would say chipmonk ?
ha! he hates looking directly at the camera - without food or a toy etc, this was the only way to get a face shot. it’s also the behavior he offers when he’s DONE! like “here, are you happy now” ?
PSA, lot of people who used Wisdom and then later used Embark, thought the
Wisdom results were not as accurate as Embark. Just sayin- your results may not be 100% accurate.
yeah, i’ve known ppl that did both and were happier with embark, however, one was comparing an older version of wisdom with a newer version of embark (i used the most current WP)... the other had some “supermutt” and breed grouping results where they felt were specified better with embark, however, without saying too much, that wouldn’t apply to Keystone.

it’s all for fun anyhow... there were some other fun tidbits included, but i’ve already forgotten my log in to the site. i really just wanted to know if i could “duplicate” him or if i was on a wild goose chase.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I’m going with a mix of elkhound! My first thought was a mix of some kind of collie, but after reading the list, decided on elkhound.

EDIT:
By collie, I mean the actual breed. Rough collie! But maybe I do see some border collie in there. :p

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Without knowing percentages, it could be all of the above with no GSD. Lol.
BUT, if all I had to go on was that side view and that list I would go with Cattle Dog.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
...speaking of percentages, here they are:
50%
37.5%
12.5%
50% German Shepherd Dog
37.5% Belgian Malinois
12.5% Australian Cattle Dog

Nice job @Kathrynil !! The confirmation of Mal was surprising but I knew it was a possibility. I honestly thought the ACD would have come in at a higher percentage based on his build and personality. Without the additional info, Elkhound would have been my guess!

Keystone was caught in Central California after fleeing a vehicle with individuals during a police pursuit, then held as “evidence” at the shelter for over a month. For obvious reasons, no other details could be provided except that a handful of dogs were later pulled from the same residence and included German Shepherds, Belgian Malinois “and some other herding types” per shelter staff. Since ACD and Mals aren’t commonly (intentionally) bred together around here, my best guess is that he’s a product of a GSD x ACD and/or a GSD x Mal on the grand/great grandparent level.

Thanks for everyone that participated!
5613E90A-CBCD-4E2D-B4DA-170AF2AD5625.jpeg

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
...speaking of percentages, here they are:
50%
37.5%
12.5%
50% German Shepherd Dog
37.5% Belgian Malinois
12.5% Australian Cattle Dog

Nice job @Kathrynil !! The confirmation of Mal was surprising but I knew it was a possibility. I honestly thought the ACD would have come in at a higher percentage based on his build and personality. Without the additional info, Elkhound would have been my guess!

Keystone was caught in Central California after fleeing a vehicle with individuals of whom the police were pursuing, then held as “evidence” at the shelter for over a month. For obvious reasons, no other details could be provided except that a handful of dogs were later pulled from the same residence and included German Shepherds, Belgian Malinois “and some other herding types” per shelter staff. Since ACD and Mals aren’t commonly (intentionally) bred together around here, my best guess is that he’s a product of a GSD x ACD and/or a GSD x Mal on the grand/great grandparent level.

Thanks for everyone that participated ?
Fun game! That just goes to show that guessing a dog’s breed based only on appearance isn’t overly accurate. That’s why the humane society I worked for stopped doing it. People would get annoyed with us for just saying “mix,” but we didn’t want to be responsible for guessing the wrong breed and having someone be upset over that.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I thought the head looked a little Mal! What a fantastic combination of dogs! My three favorite breeds rolled into one. Finding a GSD / Mal mix should be easy enough but findind another with all three breeds might be a little tougher to find.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts