German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I’m so excited that I can’t even put it into words. I love that this place uses what works for each dog. No cookie cutter training. They flat out told me not all dogs need the e-collar, but he did. It was a non-confrontational approach with him since strangers aren’t his thing. It also didn’t destroy the trust they were building with him.

They had other people handling him, he was around other dogs all the time. I couldn’t have done what they accomplished in 5 weeks. Dexter wouldn’t have had that type of day in and day out exposure/socialization. Now I can start enjoying taking him out with me and working on all the things we learned. If I haven’t said it before, I’m so excited. lolol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh my! What a fantastic outcome! It really sounds like you got Dexter exactly the help he needed. It will never cease to amaze me how deeply trust can so deeply affect dogs; both good and bad! Please keep updating this thread, as I suspect you are going to continue to make outstanding progress now that those automatic reactions have stopped. This is a real success story! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Ivan is a top trainer, so happy to hear how well it worked out for you.

Just for edification - did they explain how they used the e-collar for dog/human reactivity? I've heard different thoughts from different trainers, but if I'm not mistaken, Ivan makes it really clear to the dog that he is being corrected for making the wrong choice--- not for breaking OB. In other words, he makes it super clear to the dog what behaviors he wants, and what behaviors are unacceptable. Did they go into this with you?

Great outcome. Keep it up!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ivan is a top trainer, so happy to hear how well it worked out for you.

Just for edification - did they explain how they used the e-collar for dog/human reactivity? I've heard different thoughts from different trainers, but if I'm not mistaken, Ivan makes it really clear to the dog that he is being corrected for making the wrong choice--- not for breaking OB. In other words, he makes it super clear to the dog what behaviors he wants, and what behaviors are unacceptable. Did they go into this with you?

Great outcome. Keep it up!
Great clarification. I don’t correct him for breaking obedience. The e-collar is basically for going after another dog (i.e.,making the wrong choice). They made it clear to him that going after another dog is unacceptable. So I’m not correcting him for breaking the obedience command. Just reinforcing that aggression towards another dog is a no go. If he chooses to go after another dog, he gets corrected on the e-collar. He hasn’t even tried to do that since we’ve been home so he’s making correct choices. Yay!

The prong is fine for a general correction on Dexter. It did not work for his dog aggression. It made it worse. Before Ivan, I made the switch to a dominant dog collar because it gave me better control of Dexter.

Dexter has a clear understanding of all his commands. Although I have noticed that his obedience is sharper since coming home. He knows what is expected.

Does that answer your question or am I misunderstanding?

61 - 68 of 68 Posts