German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ilita is a beautiful young lady. She is graceful, fun and affectionate.

She also drools. Now I don't mean to say this is a serious fault. It just doesn't fit her "image". The first indication of this attribute was when she took her first drink of water in our kitchen. After seeing most of that mouthful dribbled across the entire kitchen, I emailed our breeder and asked if this was an unusual trait she would grow out of as she actually learned to swallow the mouthful.

The reply? Nope, she won't grow out of it. Most of them do this. Ok, well, we can handle that. Although it is kind of like walking through a swamp on the way to do the dishes, but what the heck.

Now at almost 9 months and weeks and weeks and weeks of training, she drools profusely whenever David produces beef lung pieces (our main choice for training treats). She will sit there staring at him intently just waiting for the moment with huge ribbons of drool appearing at the corners of her lovely mouth. Anyone remember Turner and Hooch? Ok, it's not quite that bad. But David definitely gets slobbered on. Yes, we still love her.

Anyone else have this issue to deal with?

Reactions: 3ymum

·
Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, she is raw fed. The only time she really drools (besides the inability to drink like a lady) is for the training treats. She REALLY likes them. :LOL:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Dripping water is not drool, it's just what they and many dogs do. Rogan does a lot, Harley not so much.

Neither of mine drool at all. Ever.
I have never had a GSD that drools.
But none have ever been fed human food or much on the treat side if that's related.

·
Registered
Ilita and Rusty
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope everyone realizes this was meant as a humorous post. But I do find it interesting that it might be unusual. Also interesting is that Apex1 said the drool got better when she switched to raw and WNGD has never had any drooling and never has fed human food.

I call them "training treats" because that is the situation they are used. However, all food is calculated into their daily feed ration. Both pups are food motivated and it is/has been a great training tool.

Although I guess you could eat beef lung, I am not sure I would classify it as human food. The rest of their food definitely consists of human food bought from our local butcher and/or grocery store consisting of muscle meat, liver, kidneys, heart and tongue (all beef). Oh, and mackerel 3 times a week and the occasional raw egg yolk. None of this causes the drooling. It is only the beef lung given as a reward after a behavior.

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
485 Posts
Not sure if it’s the same, but when Ellie engaged with me like when we play fetch or we are training she’ll drool a little, few drops, but she has foam around her mouth and everything is covered in a white film type substance that she puts in her mouth. I had a golden retriever that drooled profusely, it was like cement too, left a film on everything.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Not Zepp, but the rottie drools for treats so much that she forms drool bubbles 🙄 I have a hard enough time getting Zepp to eat, I don’t think he would ever drool. He’s definitely a water slopper though!!!

·
Registered
Rosie 01/04/2021 GSDxHuskyxAkita
174 Posts
rosie is a slobbering water guzzler, man, she's like a water vacuum with a leak in it at that water bowl...

but so far the only time she drools is in the car where her anxiety is still prevalent sometimes and it's like some serious drool. she looks like a pathetically rabid dog with all that foam and drool when it happens.

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
852 Posts
Fern used to dunk most of her muzzle into the water bowl. Her nose would be touching the bottom of the bowl. When she was done drinking, a cascade of water would fall out of her nostrils and mouth. It was a huge wtf moment. Luckily she doesn’t do that anymore but will leave spots of drool when resting her muzzle on the floor. Such a cutie!

·
Registered
12,419 Posts
Rolf takes water 6 feet away after he drinks 🤦🏻‍♀️
I thought I had resolved the issue with Hans, by buying a bucket, but this guy, nope, leaves the bucket early and spreads water everywhere.
His Auntie Lana drools when food is near.
Depends on the dog.
If it’s the good drooling, a.k.a. for food, that’s great, I would only be upset about drooling when it happened because they are nauseous.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Fern used to dunk most of her muzzle into the water bowl. Her nose would be touching the bottom of the bowl. When she was done drinking, a cascade of water would fall out of her nostrils and mouth. It was a huge wtf moment. Luckily she doesn’t do that anymore but will leave spots of drool when resting her muzzle on the floor. Such a cutie!
I fostered a pup that would slurp up mouthfuls of water, walk halfway across the kitchen, spit it out and then lick it off the floor! It was annoying but kinda funny.
Since Fern has no issues with sticking her head in the bucket, you should teach her to bob for apples. Sabi, Bear and Bud all learned it. I tossed crab apples in the kiddy pool.

·
Registered
478 Posts
When our GSD drools it is fascinating and noteworthy because it happens so rarely. After the breeds I had owned with jowls it is a nice and unexpected change. (Man, one of the rotties perpetually had a soaking wet chest from all the drool - he would put his head out the partially open car window, bring it back in, and the lower edge of the window would act as a squeegee and it would just run down the side of the car.)

But yes he is the messiest drinker.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Willow only drools when she's waiting for me to put down her food bowl for dinner. I put a mat there and have her sit on it while she waits, so, no cleanup!

She's also a horrid water dribbler. I remember someone on here told me once that "GSDs have a drinking problem"...I've never encountered any other dog (besides other GSDs) who leave a trail of water all over the floor after they drink. I've sort of solved this problem too by just keeping a kitchen towel on the floor beside her bowl (which I moved into the room with the worst tile floor) and mopping it up periodically. Or sometimes when she goes in to get a drink I'll follow her and immediately give her scritches when she's done so she just stands there and dribbles directly onto the towel. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Buffy doesn't drool much and quite gentle whilst drinking water, never need to clean up afterwards. Only drools when we are eating burger and playing ball.

Ball time drool can be gross, because she would jump up or turn fast to catch it. If I am lucky, the drool would land on the floor..... Sometimes it lands across my face :ROFLMAO:

P.S. you forget to share the photo of Ilita, lol

·
Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
852 Posts
I fostered a pup that would slurp up mouthfuls of water, walk halfway across the kitchen, spit it out and then lick it off the floor! It was annoying but kinda funny.
Since Fern has no issues with sticking her head in the bucket, you should teach her to bob for apples. Sabi, Bear and Bud all learned it. I tossed crab apples in the kiddy pool.
I never would have thought a dog would be trained to bob for apples lol! That’s awesome! I think Fern wouldn’t bob for apples but maybe chunk of meat haha! I swear she would drink an entire swimming pool for a meat cube.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
634 Posts
Charlie absolutely drenches the floor when he drinks water. i swear, 90% of his mouthful goes out onto the ground, so now I keep a mop by the dog bowl lol

This reminds me, I saw an interesting video the other day of a mastiff drinking some water, next to his bowl was another one with a towel stretched over the rim, after he was done drinking he moved over to rest his chin in it to soak up all the excess water, my mind was blown, I may just attempt to teach it myself.

it couldn't hurt to try😆

1 - 20 of 29 Posts