German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The puppy we fostered did alot of drooling. But only in the crate when DH drove her between home and work. I mean when they came home Friday, she was wet, her chin, her legs, and tummy. I thought she had an accident but she didn't. Come to find out today it's from being carsick. I guess they drool trying not to throw up! I never knew that! I'm probably the last to know these things, but I'd thought I'd share anyway.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Caleb was doing the drooling whenever he went for a long car ride (longer than about 30 minutes), then he would get sick.

But the last couple of days he went on 2 long car rides without any problems at all. He's 9 months now - I think he's growing out of it.

He's the first of my dogs that ever had this problem. The breeder told me he probably gets it from his daddy, who used to get sick as a pup, but grew out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Puppies start teething around 3 to four months of age at which point they may drool, have a lost of appetite and chew more excessively. Teething is usually complete by 9 months of age.

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
The puppy we fostered did alot of drooling. But only in the crate when DH drove her between home and work.
Yup motion sickness. I had to use Cerenia for Seger when he was a puppy. Good news is they often outgrow it. The thing to really watch for right now is they make the association between the car and them not feeling well then refuse to get in the car. Can't blame them there!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Max drooled a ton in the car...it definitely was anxiety. Now, was he anxious because of nausea? could be. I started driving him a very short distance to go for our daily walk. I put him on the floor in front of the passenger seat, where I could reach him. I Dove with a handful of treats and treated him for hopping in the car., then when I got in the car, then as we drove. Repeated it on the way home after our walk.

He stopped drooling after a couple of days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts