German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throught a pups life he is being evaluated on a lot of things. I'm curious what someone is looking for in a 4 month old pup as far as drive, focus, things like that. What point should he be at right now. We are heading to our rings class tomorrow so I will ask there as well.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think it depends on the individual dog (and handler)..

Right now my 4.5 mth old is a 'wild woman' :))))

Since I have the luxury of spending alot of time with her,,I have to say (and maybe I'm biased here),,Masi has incredible focus, and is very very "into" me, drives? well I'm not sure what your asking here,,Masi has loads of play drive, prey drive? well it depends on the "prey" :))) , her training is going really well, her basic obedience is pretty solid, and I am constantly getting compliments on her 'overall' from my training instructor.

On the flip side,,(keep in mind she is the only gsd in class)..I'd say 95% of the other dogs in her class who are about her age and older,,are not as advanced as she is, but again, could be dog/handler/breed related..

At this age, when I have a puppy,,the most important things I'm working on are, creating a solid bond, basic obedience, and allowing her to be a puppy :)))

I'm looking for, exactly what I've got and I am very pleased with it.
diane

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I would ask the breeder. The breeder knows the lines and how other pups have developed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, first off apologies on my part. I must have been really tired when I wrote this, because I have no recollection of starting this thread

What I was trying to get at, was while a pup is growing up, are there certain "milestones" a pup will hit with age. I hear some people say their dog is a rocket out of the womb, and others say after teething the prey drive kicked in. Sometimes even later in life. I'm not worried about our lil guy's drive (although the focus could be much better.....but he is a pup
) I'm just curious at what age do people start to evaluate their dog for drive for competition sports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts