German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 5.5 months old and 55lbs. He gets tons of exercise and I brush him a few times a week because he is shedding. And he is panting very often. I like in South Georgia (USA) and we are already having days in the 90s regularly so I know that he is hot since he is a black sable coat

However my concern is that we have a salt water pool and recently he has decided that he prefers to drink from it vs his water bucket. The pool is approximately 3000 ppm of salt at any given time where the ocean is 44,000parts per million. So it is not salty like you would think and you can easily open your eyes under water with no burning. And if you ingest the water it tastes fine barely a hint if salt.

I am just wondering if this could be bad for him. He urinates a lot, but I figure its because he constantly has his paws and nose in the water.

I can put out a fresh water bucket and he will take a drink and then walk straight to the pool to drink from it.

Does anyone else have a dog that drinks from the pool? I worry about the salt potentially dehydrating him. ImageUploadedByPG Free1370282405.739940.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The salt water pool is filled with chlorine, that's what the salt water generators do. It may taste like salt due to the salt content but it is also filled with chlorine like a non salt water pool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, but tap water also has a certain amount of chlorine as well. From what I can find the only risk is dehydration and excessive urination.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this or more knowledge.

I put 1 gallon of fresh water per day. But he prefers the pool.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My cat has been doing this for years. Test your tap water, you must have a chlorine tester and than test your pool water. It may be really similar. I would never allow my dog to do this, cats, whatever, not even bothering. The more you say no, the more they do what they want.

I'm guessing your dog is unattended outside this is why you cant stop it.

I have a friend whose dog died at a pretty early age and they believed it was the pool water that did it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts