German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that raw fed dogs drink a lot less water because of the water content of their food.
Hans has never been a big water drinker, but lately, he just about refuses to touch it.
After a walk, when he comes back with his tongue hanging out, I try to give him water half an hour later, after he cools down somewhat.
Not interested.
Am hour later, he still won't drink water. However, he digs right in if I give him a cup of crushed ice.
I give him ice throughout the day, because he does not touch his water bowl, and I think he needs water during the day because his meal is at 9 PM. I do believe he needs more water than what the food provides.
Any thoughts? How much water do your raw fed dogs drink?

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dogs and people that crave ice usually have an iron deficiency
Had a CBC done a few weeks ago, everything checked, everything perfectly normal.
What about the water question?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
no choice then.
ice cold water slows / impairs digestion.

one thing a dog cannot resist is liquid whey , which I get fresh as a by product of "greek" yogurt making.

put water down -- add a few grains, a frugal pinch of salt , and a drop of raw honey , a teaspoon of braggs or other cider vinegar "with mother" - and leave it .

the dog may be reacting to increased levels of chlorine or fluoride . If that is the case see what happens with reverse osmosis water where you have remineralised it with Concen-Trace .

give the dog a bit more of the red meat or a snack of liver just to be sure on the iron

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We use only RO water. He eats two pounds of beef based raw a day, with Feedsentials.
Thank you, I will definitely flavor the water and see if that does the trick!
Going to go find Concentrace right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts