German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know how much dried liver is safe to feed a dog?

I know more than a few ounces a week of regular liver is probably too much (all dogs are individuals, etc.). But I saw that beef liver is very cheap, and we have a dehydrator - so I was thinking of getting some and drying it for treats. Nice and stinky treats.

On a normal daily walk, though, we'll sometimes go through several handfuls of treats, depending on how many squirrels/ducks/dogs must be ignored that day. Do you know what the general guidelines might be for dried liver?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I used dehydrated beef liver for my dog as treats as well. I have only used small amounts when we go for walks. One slice doled out carefully during training sessions and small pieces as incentives for her to go into a crate as necessary. So far we had no health problems.

I am in the market for a new dehydrator. Which brand do you use and are you satisfied with it? Walmart has the Ronco and I may just get that because I haven't seen anything else local.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dhau. We have the Nesco American Harvest, got it through amazon.com. It works very well. If I remember right, it has one of the higher/stronger/whatever motors, and goes to higher temperatures than a lot of the other models.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts