German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regen HATES having her nails clipped, so her nails look like crazy talons. She screams bloody murder and squirms. She is better with the dremel (at groomer), and since her quicks are long from our neglect, I thought that would be the best option to trim both dogs' nails.
I got the
(cordless)
I also got 120 grit sanding bands after searching on here and reading the DoberDawn page.

So I charged up the dremel and started working on Osa's nails (Osa is used to the dremel). It seems like it takes a million passes over a nail to make it a teeny bit shorter? I finished her two front paws in 25 minutes and they weren't that much shorter.

What am I doing wrong? I used the higher speed since she was okay with it, and I didn't hold the dremel to the nail for any extended period, just very short passes, since I read that you can burn the dog's nail.

I feel so dumb, I have no idea which part I messed up. Putting on the sanding band? Not leaving it on long enough? Not pressing hard?

Help! My eagle taloned dogs would really appreciate it.:help:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, so the one I have is no good? I did a search on the board before I bought it and it seemed like others had used it with good results.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I do use one that is plugged in- more power and less pressure needed:) However, I've used a cordless with success so I'm sure you can too. I put my finger on the side of the nail while working the dremmel across the other side so it's supported- don't know if that helps but good luck:)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I've also heard about the cordless ones not having enough power. I've only used corded ones though.

You also might not be pressing hard enough. You said they were doing well for the groomer, could you ask your groomer to give you a lesson? It would be well worth it to skip out on the getting used to it part. I just had to learn over time things like how hard to press. Its not really something you can describe over the internet! And to speed things up, do you move from one nail to the next? I start at one end and press on one nail, then press on the next nail, and the next nail... Then repeat until all of the nails are the length I want, and then I'll shape up around the edges.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I do use one that is plugged in- more power and less pressure needed:) However, I've used a cordless with success so I'm sure you can too. I put my finger on the side of the nail while working the dremmel across the other side so it's supported- don't know if that helps but good luck:)
I pinch the nail between my thumb and forefinger of my left hand, and hold the dremel in my right. That way the nail doesn't vibrate as much and I can also press harder. (that doesn't necessarily sound like i'm talking about dremeling nails...)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pinch the nail between my thumb and forefinger of my left hand, and hold the dremel in my right. That way the nail doesn't vibrate as much and I can also press harder. (that doesn't necessarily sound like i'm talking about dremeling nails...)
:rofl:
I love your signature, too!

Asking the groomer for a lesson is a great idea. I watched a youtube video and the dremel she used seemed to be taking more nail more quickly. I also wasn't doing all 5 nails and then going back- that would probably make things go faster. I almost want to post a picture of Osa's front nails so you guys can laugh at my "handiwork" :blush:

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
this is a GREAT link....I hope it helps you, it did me!
How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com
I've always used the cordless ones and learned from the Doberdawn site. They work just fine and way easier to move the Dremel around the dog than my dogs around a Dremel with a cord. But the miniMite Dremel has alot less power than the ones I use.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Cordless one works fine for me as long as I remember to charge the battery. Heidi got her quick cut at the vet one time and after the blood curtling howl, you don't get the nail clippers near her.

I think I use rougher sandpaper than the OP. She is pretty tolerant of it though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also use a cordless dremel...love...love...love it!
I think it just takes some time and practice to get the hang of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have the 7700-1/15 Multipro 7.2 volt cordless. Works great for me and is plenty powerful. I use a coarser sanding tube (80 grit I think) if I'm trying to take the nails down a bit. If I clip them first with a clipper than the 120 grit works great to smooth off the rough edges.

·
Super Moderator
32,587 Posts
I have a MiniMite, and it works just fine. I like to have an extra battery or two so if I need to switch it out between dogs I can.

Mine came with the medium grit sanding bands and I like the coarse ones better (ordered them on amazon.com). I use the high speed. I do two or three passes over each paw before moving onto the next one, and I hold the tool to the nail 4 or 5 seconds at a time.

If you're sure where the quick is it's faster to clip a little off the tip first, but I only do that if it's been a little longer than usual between trims.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if i should switch to the coarse sanding band until I get the length of their nails back down.

And then...never again, eagle talons!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a pedipaws, so I clip the nails first. I'm sure I'm not doing it right either-but I never hit a quick, and her nails are short and rounded. Hard to argue with that! (To clip and dremel Shenzi-45 minutes. Bath-15-20 minutes. Soaked soapy dirty bathroom with clean dog in the middle? Timeless.)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my Grey Hound wouldn't let us look at her nails.
the groomer could do her nails with no leash, no muzzle,
we didn't have to hold her.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts