German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I’ve been reading posts on the forum on GS puppies. I understand that training it’s going to take time to train her.
I’ve had my little girl since she was eight weeks old. At nine weeks I started to work with a trainer. She’s incredibly smart and learns commands quickly. That said, she also listens selectively. She knows she can’t bite me but it’s like she can’t control herself. She bites my legs when we walk. I always correct strongly. I am a treat machine. I’m consistent. I use positive reinforcement. I shower her with love ..The corrections are not working. The other day she bit the trainer....She seems frustrated. Upset. Not sure where to put her energy. She’s breaking skin, I’m bleeding, bruised and not able to see a way forward.
I feel sorry for her. Clearly the problem is me.
I’ve been following a rigorous schedule. Walk, breakfast, potty, ten minutes of training, half an hour of playpen time, crate and then repeat ( without the food) until bed at then pm.
would love insight. Suggestions on next steps.
My Best.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
How old is she now?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Hi there
I’ve been reading posts on the forum on GS puppies. I understand that training it’s going to take time to train her.
I’ve had my little girl since she was eight weeks old. At nine weeks I started to work with a trainer. She’s incredibly smart and learns commands quickly. That said, she also listens selectively. She knows she can’t bite me but it’s like she can’t control herself. She bites my legs when we walk. I always correct strongly. I am a treat machine. I’m consistent. I use positive reinforcement. I shower her with love ..The corrections are not working. The other day she bit the trainer....She seems frustrated. Upset. Not sure where to put her energy. She’s breaking skin, I’m bleeding, bruised and not able to see a way forward.
I feel sorry for her. Clearly the problem is me.
I’ve been following a rigorous schedule. Walk, breakfast, potty, ten minutes of training, half an hour of playpen time, crate and then repeat ( without the food) until bed at then pm.
would love insight. Suggestions on next steps.
My Best.
Stop. Everything.

She's a puppy. She is supposed to be fun, supposed to be having fun. Lose the schedule, lose the trainer, lose the ideals. Have fun with her. Roll in the grass, play chase, follow butterflies. Let her sniff and explore.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Not sure where to put her energy. She’s breaking skin, I’m bleeding, bruised and not able to see a way forward.
I had to laugh at this. Not at you, but hopefully with you! The best is yet to come! These pups are teething until about six months. My current dog is 3 1/2 yrs old, and doesn't bite me a bit...now.

But, I LOVE puppies and play, so both of my fore arms are permanently scarred from the bloodletting I went through, with just this one puppy!

Not to scare you, that is not a requirement or inevitable, it's more a function of I love to play with her and don't mind donating a little blood to do that.

I had a son living with me throughout her puppy hood, and he too would play with her frequently, but never got so much as a scratch!

One thing to keep in mind is that your observation that they simply can't help it is dead on! They are teething and NEED to bite and chew to help that process. So give your puppy structure, but also give her an outlet to relieve her needs!

I used plastic recycling items as chew toys for my girl, mostly because she preferred them to nearly any other toy or chew item I ever bought her.

Make sure she gets ample exercise and plenty of engagement and structure from you - meaning laws, or commands, are not requests! And don't nag her by repeating a command over and over. Teach her what you want, ensure that she understands, then insist she comply.

Obedience is a complicated thing if you haven't really trained it before, or if you don't have much dog experience. A good balanced trainer, in just 1 or 2 sessions can spark an "I get it" moment for you, that will help you immensely throughout your dog's life!

Best of luck with your puppy! PS: carry paper towels with you for a couple months...

Cheers!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Juno just sliced my skin underneath my thumbnail. Ouch! We were playing fetch in the backyard. Lol. She's 8 months!

Enjoy puppuyhood. I look at Juno's photos and I wonder where the time went....

Keep trying. A trainer is a good idea esp if you don't have experience. My experience with puppies is that they learn in spurts. We were stuck quite frequently and then, boom, one day she's got it.

·
Super Moderator
3,100 Posts
This is my idea of walking a puppy. Marching along beside you is boring and accomplishes little. Get out and have adventures!

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
This is my idea of walking a puppy. Marching along beside you is boring and accomplishes little. Get out and have adventures!

This! The puppy should not view you as something that comes between her and exploring the environment but as someone that provided the environment to share exploring and adventures.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
“Stop. Everything.”

Clearest, most succinct advice here.

Too rigid, too soon.

Hang in. It’ll work out. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts

What I like best about these videos is that you and your dog walk most of the way with very little communication! People, IMHO, too often try to micromanage stuff. Just go out and "be" with your dog!

I go walking on the shores of the river for an hour and say nothing to my dog unless we come across other people. Otherwise it's just all free!

·
Super Moderator
3,100 Posts
What I like best about these videos is that you and your dog walk most of the way with very little communication! People, IMHO, too often try to micromanage stuff. Just go out and "be" with your dog!

I go walking on the shores of the river for an hour and say nothing to my dog unless we come across other people. Otherwise it's just all free!
There was a lot of communicating going on. It just wasn't verbal.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't panic! Puppyhood is a joyous, wonderful, exciting and fun time. But I also found it very overwhelming as it was my first shepherd puppy. And my girl was extremely mouthy. I knew shepherds were but I was really not expecting it to be so bad.

I read a lot about bite inhibition (there are some great stickies). The first month was teaching Biscuit how hard was too hard on our skin. I would lay on the floor with her and play, she nibbled on my hands and the second she bit too hard I would say NO!, get up, quit play and walk away (or put her in the hall). Now at 5 months Im pretty confident about her nibbling on my hands, I can even put my face right next to her for cuddles. Trust me that was not possible when she was 10 weeks. The whole time I felt like it wasn't working. The re-direction DOES work. it just takes time.

I also highly recommend you place toys EVERYWHERE around your house so that if your pup tries to bite you you can have a toy at hand. We got used toilet paper rolls (the leftover cardboard) and always had them in our pockets for when she attacked us. Now Biscuit knows to bring over a toy to us when she wants to interact.

So hang in there. It's normal.

One other thing. I trained her from day one. But I went with the philosophy (I think it's stonny dennis) of setting her up for success. Never ask her to do something if you are not sure she will succeed. Training was always fun and rewarding for us both. But when they are so young keep the training sessions short. I thought 15mins was short, try more like 5mins.

Also looking back I should have crated more. Biscuit got worse when she didn't nap. She is crate trained but I should have scheduled more crate time during the day. Once I realised this her really crazy bad behaviour diminished.

Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
66 Posts
My first GSD LIVED the landshark nickname as a puppy! It seems like one day it just stopped. He was always very mouthy even as an adult. He would take my wrist in his mouth to let me know he needed to go out. Whenever he got super excited about something fun he would run to me grab me by the wrist for a second like c'mon mom let's go! He would just barely touch his teeth to my skin, no pressure. Just be consistent and she will get it. Run, play, wrestle, and have fun helping her explore her world.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts