1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Thanks for posting! I started going to the 45 day interval a few months ago when my vet told me that the pill actually lasts for that long. It makes me feel a bit better to have to give it only about 8 times/year. Unfortunately, living in Florida heartworm prevention is a year-round necessity, but it's nice to hear Dr. Dodds confirm what I've been doing.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have not started Heartworm meds with Bear and was debating whether to or not. It lists that my area would be May-October to administer. Looking at the map for heartworms and where I am located it is not very prevalent at all.
Should I consider giving it to him? Which heartworm medication is considered the safest?

·
Super Moderator
32,341 Posts
I've never even heard of Dimmitrol, I've only used Heartguard (ivermectin). Is it a newer drug?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have been using Ivomec locally but I cut the dosage below what most people give...... the vet here said Heartguard(tm) dose may not be high enough in the preventive dose anymore (as opposed to resistant populations in NE GA) and only prescribes or sells preventives with all the flea/tick stuff with it and I am not doing that stuff. I am doing 30 days. I know 45 is fine but I would rather have the safety period.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
and only prescribes or sells preventives with all the flea/tick stuff with it and I am not doing that stuff.
Maybe a little off topic, but why no flea/tick stuff?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Maybe a little off topic, but why no flea/tick stuff?

I don't want to answer for Jocoyn, but I don't buy the combo pills either because I prefer to keep chemicals to a minimum and don't feel that I need to give flea meds monthly (or every 45 days even). Personally, I'd rather control fleas naturally, if I could find something that worked in Florida. Until then, I give Comfortis, as needed, which is usually every 3-4 months.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Same as I love my Mikko

We are out in the woods a lot and I find I can control the ticks and rarely pick up fleas- when I find them, I am on them. I just want to minimize exposure to toxins.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Boy that IS old school. Can't miss a day on that stuff. I worked at a vet school for a vet doing experimental studies on filaribits. 60 beagle puppies. Intentionally infected.

You cannot mix a single day and can be very dangerous if the dog has any microfilaria.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, Lisa.!!! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts