German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at least that how I feel and I feel really bad.

Scooter loves to play with Dozer BUT Scooter doesn't get to play anymore.
Scoot used to LOVE to play fetch with his little stuffed toys. He would grab one and come howling at me with the toy in his mouth in a play bow wiggling all over...until I got Dozer. It was the cutest thing ever and I feel like I have ruined it for Scoot. Dozer tackles him all the time and rips the toys right out of Scooter's mouth and 65lbs vs. 17lbs; Scoot loses, then Dozer rips his favorite toys up. I have to hide all of Scooter's toys (and I mean the 2 he has left). Scooter now will run for a toy, see Dozer and drop his toy and run.

I feel bad because I just want Scoot to be able to play like he has for the past 5 years. I have tried holding Dozer's collar so Scoot can play fetch but I can't even hold him. I have put Dozer in his crate and he throws a FIT!!!!!! Dozer will even get a little nasty trying to get the toy away from Scooter. I have even tried to throw the toy so Scoot can fetch it while I hold Doze, than I switch so they can take turns. Scooter does fine, Dozer just takes the toy and runs.

I know he is a puppy but Scooter should still be able to play the way he has for 5 years. Any ideas on how I can let Scooter get his play time in without the big bully, lol...

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I'm no pro but my suggestion is this,Reinforce the stay command or Athena has come up with keeping a favorite ball in her mouth so she won't mouth Lexi when we play fetch.She still runs for the ball but usually lets Lexi bring it back.I have the similar problem of not being able to let Athena have stuffed toys because Lexi will rip it to shreds in minutes.Good luck.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried to throw 2 different toys in different directions but Dozer just goes after Scooter. I have thought of putting Dozer in another room while I spend some time playing with Scoot but I think he would break down the door.
I have tried stayed and he is good at it but the second Scoot comes back with the toy Dozer cannot control himself.
It is the only time I feel like I cannot control him, and it is not a bad out of control. Just a happy, rambunctious LARGE puppy. I just want Scooter to still have fun too.

Seeing Scoot grab his toy and drop it quickly when he SEES Dozer makes me sad.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Originally Posted By: CharlieBoyWhat about playing with Scooter while Dozer is napping in another room?
Your funny..I can't even whisper the words,play,ride or outside w/o someone running to my side...I can only imagine her dogs are the same way....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If Dozer napped I would do that. LOL He doesn't want to miss a single thing so he goes wherever I go.

I had them outside yesterday and Scooter was trying to play fetch with a stick he found. Dozer just grabbed it and broke it into pieces. I put Dozer inside and he scratched the door trying to get out so bad that it needs to be painted now.

Maybe I should just put him in his crate and let him throw a fit? Is that mean?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally Posted By: AllieGYour funny..I can't even whisper the words,play,ride or outside w/o someone running to my side...I can only imagine her dogs are the same way....
I can play with my cocker spaniel after taking my GSD puppy for a long walk.
Not trying to make anyone laugh

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took Dozer for a 3 mile walk tonight and still couldn't play with Scooter. Dozer goes on lots of walks, bike rides, playing all day at daycare. Nothing stops him from getting in the middle of me and Scooter or me and Sadie. He could be sleeping and he senses I may be playing with them and he is right there. Tackling, biting, sitting on them.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You need to spend time with them separately and you also need to up the training with Dozer because he's being a bratty brother and getting away with it. If he's throwing a fit in his crate and so you've decided not to keep him in there while you play with Scooter then Dozer is learning a very effective way to get what he wants. Take Dozer for a really long walk, play with him then put him in a crate with something to chew and take Scooter out to play. If Dozer throws a fit--too bad for Dozer! Ignore it and eventually he'll stop.

You may have to keep the separate play times up for the rest of their lives but ideally, as Dozer gets older and learns more and you become a better pack leader, he could be taught to wait his turn when playing.

ETA: I have had a Dozer type dog before. I had to learn a lot of new training techniques because I realized that he was resource guarding me from the other animals!
If you don't nip that in the bud it will get worse and could prove dangerous for your little dogs as Dozer matures.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the fact that he is a puppy makes him want to play a lot. Even if Scooter and Sadie are playing together he has to get involved. He is not mean or aggressive, just needs to be in on the fun. I have been putting him in his crate and leaving him in there while he throws a fit but I feel bad when I do it. I will NOT let him out of the crate until he is calm so I just go in the other room until he stops.
He has gotten better and SOMETIMES when he is trying to takes Scooter's toys I tell him to leave it and he will but not always. The second I throw it he runs behind Scoot. Most dogs, especially puppies would. I just want to be sure I am not mean by not letting him play when Scoot is. I think I can stop it but then I feel like I may make Doze resent Scoot.

Sounds silly I know...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Excuse me for being blunt (I am actually a very nice person but tend to try to shorten things on here) but it sounds like you are a part of the problem. Reread your original post and then read what you just wrote. You are now sticking up for Dozer and making excuses for his behavior. You have to really consider what kind of messages you're sending your dogs because they get them all, even the ones you don't intend them to get.
So either you want Scooter to be able to play without being harassed (which he has an absolute right to do) or you want Dozer to be able to do anything he wants just because he's a puppy.

Dozer is old enough now to have rules that are enforced. The puppy excuse gets old when they're big. If it's Scooter's time to play then it's not Dozer's time to play. That really is fair. And you need to give Scooter that time until you can teach Dozer to control himself and play nicely. And you need to teach yourself not to feel bad--it sounds like Dozer has a great life and gets plenty of exercise and fun time!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Older established dog have rights to have some type of fun and a life. It is your responsibility to make sure that their life isn't miserable because you got a prey driven GSD.

Puppies need to learn that the crate is a good thing and that they don't always get waht they want. They are not the rulers of the world.

Crate Dozer and let the other dogs play.

Val

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Originally Posted By: DozerI have put Dozer in his crate and he throws a FIT!!!!!!
So? Let him. Keefer doesn't need to be in a crate anymore, but when I was training him and Dena, I'd work with one and crate the other. Keefer threw a little hissy fit, but he survived. He'd cry for a while and when it didn't work he'd eventually stop, and wait to be let out. I will sometimes put him in the garage pen while I'm training Halo, sometimes I crate him, and sometimes I just close him in the office with my husband. He doesn't like it and lets his displeasure be known, but that's just how it is - he has to learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
jess, i know that you are trying to figure out what to do...and that is great! it is important for you and scooter to be able to play/interact without being "afraid" of the big bad GSD pup. it is also very important for dozer to learn that having a tantrum does not get him out of his kennel, and it most certainly does not get him a play session. look at it like a child, if my three year old is in a time out....he can cry and cry and scream...it is ignored he can't come out of time out until he is behaving in a civilized manner. i know its a pita to listen to, but the reality is that once you begin ignoring the unwanted kennel behavior the sooner it will stop. i understand that he is not aggressive towards scooter and that he just wants to play, but he needs to learn he plays when you say he can...puppies need boundries too. and when you say he can he must play in a socially acceptable way...if not he gets to go to time out. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
687 Posts
I know about them going nuts in the crate, the first time I took Harley to the vet without Brody, somehow Brody managed to gouge two holes in the wall, had never done anything like that before. So I moved the crate out of reach of the wall, which blocks the walkway through the eating area, oh well. I have to take Harley to the vet probably Thursday to get his shoulder looked at again, so Brody will throw another hissy fit.

Can someone else in the family take him for a walk while you play with Scooter? My last pair of dogs sounded similar, but they were equally matched in size. Rocky loved to catch the frisbee, Dakota loved to go after whatever Rocky was trying to catch, hampering Rocky's game. Sometimes Rocky used to try to chase Dakota off before he jumped for his catch.

I remember when they were young, about one, Dakota (lab) couldn't out run Rocky (GSD), so he used to try to grab his tail with his mouth so Rocky could pull him LOL.

I feel for Scooter, that must be frustrating for the poor little guy.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've never found a walk to be as tiring for a GSD as just running them until they pass out, revive them, then run them again.

That's just a joke, but mine have been such high energy pups that walking just doesn't do the trick, they have to run & run & run & run & then maybe swim a bit, then run some more; then it's naptime.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
OK time for a dope slap to the OP.
It sounds like you have given Dozer little or no direction. Every one in your house needs to be on NILIF Scooter & Dozer. Establish a pattern - you work with the older dog first, then you work with the young dog. Then you play with the older dog, then you play with the young dog. Dozer will get it. That was my routine when the Barker Sisters were young. One was tethered while I worked with the other. When both routines were finished (they were fairly short) both dogs and I went for a walk. It works.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereOK time for a dope slap to the OP.
It sounds like you have given Dozer little or no direction. Every one in your house needs to be on NILIF Scooter & Dozer. Establish a pattern - you work with the older dog first, then you work with the young dog. Then you play with the older dog, then you play with the young dog. Dozer will get it. That was my routine when the Barker Sisters were young. One was tethered while I worked with the other. When both routines were finished (they were fairly short) both dogs and I went for a walk. It works.
Yep, agree.

I'm also wondering if Dozer is in training yet with qualified trainer.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Originally Posted By: DozerMaybe I should just put him in his crate and let him throw a fit? Is that mean?
I don't have two dogs so I'm not entirely sure but I would say yes, put Dozer away and spend one-on-one time with Scooter. Maybe take Dozer for a walk and then put him in his crate for "down time." He has to learn that, just because he throws a fit, doesn't mean he can be out of the crate and get what he wants. Jerzey always had a lot of energy and wouldn't sit still but, if she was in her crate, it was like she was kind of forced to just chill for a bit and she would nap for a bit or just chill out with a bone.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate all the advice. Dozer is actually very well trained, he is going to obedience class and he has lots of boundaries. I do put him in the crate when I play with Scooter and I let him throw his fit, I do not let him out to play, I said that in a previous post I leave him in there until he calms down. I know I shouldn't feel bad but I was just feeling like I was torturing him and I wanted to be sure I was doing it the right way. Dozer loves his crate, he sleeps in it at night and he goes in it even when I am home on his own, it is only when I am playing fetch with Scooter. I have put Dozer outside when I play with Scooter and now that it getting a bit warmer I will do that more.

I am not using any puppy excuse except the one that he wants to play and I get that. I do not want him to resent Scooter for me locking him up like I do.

Dozer goes to class and out of 10 other dogs he is the most trained. He knows to stay for up to 10 minutes when I leave the room with food in front of him. He knows to sit and stay when the cat enters the room even though he watches her and whines he will not move. He knows easily another 10 commands including platz on recall. He just seems to have issues with staying when I throw the ball for Scooter, maybe its the prey drive thing, Scooter and the ball flying across the room, irresistible (LOL). I have gotten Dozer to stay while I throw it and it is just something I need to keep working on. He is 6 months old and I am working with him a lot, some things just take longer than others to teach. I have 3 dogs and they are all well trained, I grew up with dogs so I am not a beginner at it.

He gets plenty of exercise, I walk, run, bike, snowshoe and take him to daycare.

I think I am looking for more of a reassurance that putting him in his crate while I play with Scoot is OK and not torture...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts