German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of you know Malachi is HWpos.

My vet recommended the course of treatment that involves a few rounds of doxy.

Many of you also know how expensive doxy is right now (IF you can even find it).

Has anyone else had to deal with this recently? What are rescues doing for their HWpos dogs? Anyone know of any alternatives? I also read about using BirdBiotic doxycycline in powder form. Not so sure about giving a dog doxy for birds, but doxy is doxy isn't it (the correct dosage is more what concerns me)??

Is there any way to get around having to pay more for the doxy than his entire HW treatment is going to cost?? I'm really at a loss here.

My vet quoted me 475 for the HW treatment, but that's NOT including the doxy. UGH.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Thanks for reminding me - I knew I had seen something - not so much on the Walbaccia thingy - I would ask my vet to VIN it and see if his/her colleagues use anything.
Doxy Dilemma
Alternatives to Doxycycline Use in Shelters

The recent shortage/unavailability of doxycycline has thrown many shelter med vets, RVTs, and animal care attendants for a major loop, since 'doxy' is often the drug of choice for treating URIs and other shelter pet maladies.

KSMP Resident Dr. Cindy Karsten has put together a great paper on alternative strategies being used by shelters around the country. Check out her findings HERE.

Want to know more about doxy, other meds, and methods for treating (and preventing!) contagious diseases in shelters? Visit the KSMP website and search for what you need... it's there!

More:

May 22
Doxycycline for veterinary use during shortage. A letter to AVMA Journal (JAVMA, Vol 242, No 10, May 15, 2013). Read it carefully if you are using or intend to use minocycline as an alternative for doxycycline.
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/full/10.2460/javma.242.10.1339
https://www.facebook.com/heartwormsociety

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jean, you are a link-finding WHIZ! haha
Thank you for the info, I'll spend some time looking into it.

My vet didn't seem to have any suggestions, except for stating something along the lines of, 'there isn't really a good substitute for doxy..' and 'I just went on a mission trip to whodawhatsit land and had to pay 200something dollars for a 7 day supply..'

Not very helpful. Don't get me wrong, I love my vet. But. Jeez.

I just know I'd hate to use an alternative, paying all that money, Malachi suffering through it all, and then it not even work...

THAT would be beyond awful.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I think it is the generic for doxy that is unavailable. Friend with older dog that I have been helping - she said to go to Walgreens with the RX and there is some kind of RX card that you buy for $25-35 per year?

I will text her this AM and ask again. She is the research queen and probably checked out every option. Plus, her sister is a nurse.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is the generic for doxy that is unavailable. Friend with older dog that I have been helping - she said to go to Walgreens with the RX and there is some kind of RX card that you buy for $25-35 per year?

I will text her this AM and ask again. She is the research queen and probably checked out every option. Plus, her sister is a nurse.
Smithie, that would be great! Please let me know what she has to say. I'm very curious--and I'm wondering if the inflated prices are without insurance?? Would insurance make it a reasonable price? I DO have insurance. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I work at a compounding pharmacy an doxy is a frequent rx I make - I'm on my way there now, i can check the veterinary drug book to see for you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work at a compounding pharmacy an doxy is a frequent rx I make - I'm on my way there now, i can check the veterinary drug book to see for you.

That would be FANTASTIC! Thank you. I'm sure the info would be helpful to myself and others! Let me know what you find out! and Thanks again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
We can get doxy here for I think 30$ for 100 tablets (in Chicago). But some alternatives are tetracycline, oxytetracycline, chlortetracycline, and minocycline; same drug group, but I would talk to your vet first. Not sure what is commercially available.. Cause here we get the raw powder and compound most things. If you can, find a compounding pharmacy in your area.. They usually are cheaper.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replied, Maggie--and THANKS a million!

Gsdlover, can you explain this 'compounding' to me? I'm not sure what you mean. There are pharmacies called compounding pharmacies? The meds come strictly in powder form? Sorry if I sound like a total dummy, but this is actually something I've never heard of...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I replied, Maggie--and THANKS a million!

Gsdlover, can you explain this 'compounding' to me? I'm not sure what you mean. There are pharmacies called compounding pharmacies? The meds come strictly in powder form? Sorry if I sound like a total dummy, but this is actually something I've never heard of...

Thanks.
Yes, we take drugs in powder form, and compound (make) it into special dose capsules, suspensions, injections, eye drops, creams, etc. We do alot of vet meds. We make chew treats with meds in them, suspensions, creams.. You name it. I know that if I get my pets meds from the vet or Walgreens it is way more expensive than a compounded vet med. Ill PM later on today and see if I can find any for you in your area. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dog was recently put on Doxy while undergoing treatment/management for IMTP and I found it fairly cheap at $18 for 90 tablets but then again I just switched to a Vet School since this diagnosis so that may be why they have it easily available

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My dog was recently put on Doxy while undergoing treatment/management for IMTP and I found it fairly cheap at $18 for 90 tablets but then again I just switched to a Vet School since this diagnosis so that may be why they have it easily available
Really depends on the area, which form of the drug (intravenous, suspension, powder, tablet) and the wholesaler/manufacturer. While some have to pay an arm and a leg for doxy in other parts of the country, where I work, it doesnt seem to be too expensive. Granted, I havent been compounding with the doxy powder as much as we used to a few years ago, so doctors are probably prescribing it less unless needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts