German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my boy downtown today for the first time - he absolutely loved it there, and he really didn't want to leave. :rolleyes: (fine with me though - the city is one of my favorite places to go) There was so many new sights, sounds, things, people, animals, and most importantly TONS OF PEE MAIL! :D He did so well, I have to pat myself on the back for socializing the heck out of him, because NOTHING phases him. He didn't bark at anyone, actually, he was hardly interested in any of the people and dogs. All the loud city noises (sirens, cars honking etc) didn't phase him whatsoever, not even buses and trucks and cars zooming past us. This was fantastic socialization/exposure for him. I cant wait to take him to Navy Pier when it gets a tad warmer out. So glad Chicago is such a dog friendly city.

On a different note, the White Sox hosts two 'bark at the park' baseball games a year, in which dogs are allowed, so you betcha we're going.

Here's a few photos, we were at Monroe Harbor on Lake Michigan.

Berlin drove. ;)

I love this one! If only the darn leash wasnt there. :eek:

"I love this place!"

Back Seat Driver.

Thanks for looking. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love those pictures. The weather is great out here and I saw about 10 people walking their dogs this morning as I went for my run. Including one GSD who Is also greatly socialized like yours. He was looking at me run by as if saying "why the heck are you running". I can't wait to get mine in May. So close! but yet so far.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I love looking at member's photos of their local area, since I will probably not get a chance to travel anytime soon. Those geese looked really tempting!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Oh Katie, you made me homesick! I haven't been back for over a year!
I need to book a trip, either this summer or fall, it's too bad Bear can't come with me :(
I'm glad Berlin had a great time, I bet he turned quite a few heads :D

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love those pictures. The weather is great out here and I saw about 10 people walking their dogs this morning as I went for my run. Including one GSD who Is also greatly socialized like yours. He was looking at me run by as if saying "why the heck are you running". I can't wait to get mine in May. So close! but yet so far.
Thanks! & Whoo hoo! Congrats! :) That time will draaaaag, but the wait is so worth it! Hey, GSD's are apparently the most popular dog in Chicago, and people were looking at me and him like they've never seen one LOL! Glad to hear they are out there. Haha, Berlin was watching a few people run/bike by, then tried to join them. He loves to run, and was confused on why we weren't!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh Katie, you made me homesick! I haven't been back for over a year!
I need to book a trip, either this summer or fall, it's too bad Bear can't come with me :(
I'm glad Berlin had a great time, I bet he turned quite a few heads :D
Aw darn ... :( Me and Berlin vote that you and Bear just move back :D If you do book a trip, let me know! Maybe you can meet Berlin. :)

The one thing I would miss the most when I move, is downtown. It's just a one of a kind city. I love the lake, I love the city, I love the atmosphere, I love Chicago sports, I love downtown. No other city compares!

Thanks for sharing. I love looking at member's photos of their local area, since I will probably not get a chance to travel anytime soon. Those geese looked really tempting!
One of these days he'll get those geese, LOL they always start honking and alerting other geese when they see him. He just wants to play with them ;)

And yeah i agree! I love seeing people share photos of where they live, I wish I could travel, but it's nice to see the world through other's photos! (of course, with a GSD modeling in it :))

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I know, I miss living in the city. I was three blocks to the lake and Lincoln Park Zoo.
The only good thing is that my whole family is still there so I can still get my Chicago fix (usually every year).
Have you decided on schools yet? I have to say living in Colorado is great, you and Berlin would love Ft. Collins where CSU is at :D

I'll PM you when I make final plans, I would love to meet you and Berlin!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Very nice pictures!! Since I was born and raised in Chicago, I don't like going back to visit. Its just to much traffic, to many people, etc. But I will go to Navy Pier with my dog this summer, that will be a nice experience:)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Great pics! The water is really nice, I need to get Ollie to the San Diego harbor... there's just a lot of strung out homeless people and they kind of scare me a little, lol.

Glad Berlin didn't pull you both into the water going after those geese. :D

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Great shots. Ya gotta love the lakefront on a nice day. :)

So glad your dog didn't get nervous and freak out. Downtown is a big deal, especially for dogs.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!

I know, I miss living in the city. I was three blocks to the lake and Lincoln Park Zoo.
The only good thing is that my whole family is still there so I can still get my Chicago fix (usually every year).
Have you decided on schools yet? I have to say living in Colorado is great, you and Berlin would love Ft. Collins where CSU is at :D

I'll PM you when I make final plans, I would love to meet you and Berlin!
Have not, I have the list narrowed down to those five or so I posted (for graduate school). Since veterinary school is so competitive, I'm just gonna go wherever I get in LOL. (But dont worry - CSU is at the top of my list :D)

And thats awesome your family is still out here! Sounds good, Berlin and I are excited for you to come to good ol chi-town! :)

Very nice pictures!! Since I was born and raised in Chicago, I don't like going back to visit. Its just to much traffic, to many people, etc. But I will go to Navy Pier with my dog this summer, that will be a nice experience:)
Thank you! :) I second you on the traffic - cant stand it. Plus people drive like complete a-holes downtown. I cant wait to take Berlin to Navy Pier this summer as well! Maybe we'll see you guys around there :D

Great pics! The water is really nice, I need to get Ollie to the San Diego harbor... there's just a lot of strung out homeless people and they kind of scare me a little, lol.

Glad Berlin didn't pull you both into the water going after those geese. :D
Thanks Carrie! Yeah he definitely was contemplating going IN after the ducks and geese. If he went in, he definitely wasn't coming OUT. He is fearless I tell you. He jumped into a pond the other day outta nowhere, LOL 40 degrees, at sunset, and proceeded to get an extreme case of the zoomies. Must've been a bit chilly :D

Theres homeless people all over Chicago as well, but, they stayed FAR away from me and Berlin, lol. I feel much safer with him.

Great shots. Ya gotta love the lakefront on a nice day. :)

So glad your dog didn't get nervous and freak out. Downtown is a big deal, especially for dogs.
Thanks :) It's so beautiful, the skyline, the blue water. It was not bad today - a little chilly but wasn't raining while I was there. Oh I know it's a big deal! Thats why I was a bit worried about bringing him, wasn't sure how he'd react to so many things going on. But he did fantastic, I'm so proud of him!

Berlin is BEAUTIFUL! I live in the city too, just two blocks from the beach (dog beach too).
Thank you! :) How lucky you are! I am a bit of a drive from downtown, but not terribly bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts