German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so we've got T-minus 6 hours till we get our boy. Anxiety is setting in, this is really happening! haha

Phew!!

Ok, So I have a question. Phantom is flying from Tuscon,AZ.. all the way up to Minneapolis,MN, and then finally to Dallas. Poor thing. How long can he hold his pee in a crate? I've just been sitting here worrying about the fact that he'll be doing 10 hours of traveling today, not including the time he has to be there BEFORE the flight actually leaves.. I feel terrible.

Does anyone know the process for animal transport? Do people let them out to potty? Do they feed them? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
32,025 Posts
That's a long time, but if he only had small amounts of water he's probably old enough that it will be okay. If not, and he has an accident, it's not the end of the world, just clean him up when you get home. Halo flew from Connecticut all the way to Calfornia. She had a 2-1/2 hour drive to the Newark airport so she could get on a direct flight, she had to be checked in an hour and a half before the plane took off, and I think she was in the air 6 or 6-1/2 hours. Once she landed it was another 15 minutes before they got her off the flight, and a 35 or 40 minute drive home. It was a very long day for a 10 week old puppy! Her crate was wet, but she was fine.

My adult male can easily hold his pee for 12 plus hours, and that's purely voluntary on his part. He doesn't always want to go out before bed, and he's also not usually running to the door first thing in the morning either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Debbie- That is amazing that he can hold it for 12 hours! Im gonna pray for 11... hahaha

Im guessing the next thing I should pack in my car right now its towels and clorox anywhere spray... :D

·
Super Moderator
32,025 Posts
Yeah, but when he pees, he pees for like 10 minutes, lol! Keef has a cast iron bladder - pretty amazing that when he was a puppy he was peeing every 5 minutes. Or at least it seemed that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2nd GSD pup we got from a breeder in Vancouver, Canada....he had to fly all the way from there to Toronto...then down to Newark, NJ where we picked him up...his crate was wet & he had puppy jet lag for about a week...other then that it was uneventful. Best of luck with your new baby :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts