German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There!

We are wondering if now that Thunder is 4 months old, if its a good idea to cut him down to 2 meals a day? He has been on 3 until now, and whilst its not causing issues, I hear 2 meals is better for him?

The question is, should I just do it one day, or wean him down to it, by increasing his 2 meals (8 and 8) and then making his lunch meal smalller?

Any assistance appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I think he's at a perfect age to back up to 2 meals a day. I know I do it around 12 weeks and my dogs have done fine

I wouldn't get too crazy about the every 12 hours thing either when you go to twice a day. I know I feed in the morning after I'm up and showered. And then later at night around 6? So depending on my evening and dinner schedule they usually eat first so I get it out of the way, but it varies. So sometimes they have a 10 hour split and sometimes it's 12.

Frankly, I've found varying it is helpful because there's no real timer on my dogs or expectation as far as a 'clock' goes. They DO cue on my behavior and what I'm doing. But if I sleep in late, they are fine. If I get home late, they are fine. Just when I start making the 'getting the meals ready motions' they get all excited and ready to eat.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I second the motion, I always did two meals with Baron and he was fine with that. He would scarf his food as a baby but now he's slowing down. I started getting up earlier when I got him so he would get his meal around 5am then when I got home I would feed him around 3:30. By getting up at 5 this gave me a couple hours to be with him and wear him out. Then after I left for work my wife would get up and play with him for a while/bathroom breaks. Then I would slide in from work on lunch break if I could to play some more and give a snack like baby carrots when he was old enough. He seemed to do ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts