German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to adopt a beautiful GSD and the owner just revealed to me that she has downed pasterns. I have been trying to research this, but for some reason the information is very conflicting and can find nothing on adult dogs. I will be talking to my vet on Wednesday as my other dog has an appt then.

The dog is about 2.5 years and the owner severely injured her knee when the dog was a pup and could not exercise her properly. The dog has been living outside in a smaller fenced in area and chained (as per the older photos). In the most recent pic I’ve received (attached) you can clearly see the issue in one leg. I have two older photos and one the condition is just beginning and the other she has it bad, consistently in just 1 leg.

I’m wondering if this is a more recent issue due to her inactivity. However, my concern is that my wife and I have an active dog that LOVES to run and chase. We also like to go on long hikes in the mountains (WV). This condition seems like it would make those activities painful for the GSD. I’ve read about some vitamins on other posts here that have been known to help but only for puppies. So my question is: can this condition be treated in young adult dogs?

Sorry, I can’t figure out how to edit the size of the other pictures but the one attached is the most recent

Attachments

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
They can be strengthened. Digging in sand, anything to make her dog in with her toes will help. Just like when you clench your hand, you can feel it in your wrist. Walking on uneven surfaces such as hiking will help as well. If you want to target the area look at the these exercise balls

TotoFit ? K-9 Fitness | Balance to the Core
(read the blog articles too)

You can do an online consult with Deb who developed the system. She's incredible.
https://www.wizardofpaws.net/deborah-torraca/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your speedy response. So should I slowly ease her in to physical activity to help strengthen that joint? If I put too much stress on it early it could cause damage or more problems right?

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not sure? what kind of activity are you referring too? As far as hiking, if she's out of shape then you should work her up to longer hikes just due to overall conditioning.

Read over the Toto site, the facebook page and the Wizard of Paws page. There are supplements like Dasuquin, CoQ10, and Ligaplex that are recommended too.

You'll be able to tell if your exercise is working by her toes. You see in the picture how they are splayed like toes instead of a paw right now? that's loose ligaments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts