German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I taught my puppy sit and down. (lay down). He got sit in a few minutes very easy. Down he got pretty easily too he doesnt just lay down he basically throws his front legs out and slams to the floor its quite funny. But he has a new habbit of when i say down. he lays down and starts barking...i think he wants to play. (i tell him down before I throw a toy for him). Should i correct the barking or just let it be?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Mine flops down like I shot him. It makes me laugh everytime. Honestly it looks like Cooper laughs too. It is by far his favorite command. I think it is because I always giggle and fuss over him when he flops down. People in puppy class love to see it.
I am glad to see there are olther odd balls out there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
dont correct the bark - teach it! as he barks give a command word for it, bark, speak, talk for example.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Both my Shepherds bark/groan in protest every time I tell them to lay down. Don't have this back talk issue with any other command unless my dogs are in drive. But geez...tell them to platz and whine whine whine!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Put him in a Down and look over him with a blank stare in your face. When he stops barking by half a second (he has to breath some day) release him from the Down with a big party. Slowly make this moments longer until you have him looking at you, knowing that is the behaviour that means release. Slowly make the release partly less fun has he understand the concept, to not over-excite the dog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts