German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I am new to puppyhood and it's been...not that hard! Granted we have not reached the 6 month rebellion stage or the 1 year I am full grown and can drag you anywhere stage. My first dog Pepsi was a pretty much feral full grown Border Collie German Shep cross...and most people would have considered her a nightmare (quite a few ppl did actually during her training haha) but I loved every crazy minute of our life together.

My question is when will my puppy get more hyper? She is only 15 weeks old so she is still very young I am just wondering if she was going to be over the top hyper would she have displayed this by now? I love her regardless of anything I am just curious because like I said my first dog I found at a year old so I don't know when she would get more energy...granted it's quite hot where I live at the moment and it makes everyone want to sleep lol!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
That's hard to say. I can't remember exactly when, but in the neighborhood of 4 months, mine might get the zoomies and run recklessly through the house. None of mine are hyper on there own, but if I say key words like ball, walk or hike, they will would go nuts if let them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1>>>>> i don't believe in the "stages" or this "period" or that "period".
training and socializing takes care of all the stages.

2>>>>> how do you know your pup will become more hyper?
you could have a calm dog.

Alright so I am new to puppyhood and it's been...not that hard! Granted

1>>>> we have not reached the 6 month rebellion stage or the 1 year I am full grown and can drag you anywhere stage.

My first dog Pepsi was a pretty much feral full grown Border Collie German Shep cross...and most people would have considered her a nightmare (quite a few ppl did actually during her training haha) but I loved every crazy minute of our life together.

2>>>>> My question is when will my puppy get more hyper?

She is only 15 weeks old so she is still very young I am just wondering if she was going to be over the top hyper would she have displayed this by now? I love her regardless of anything I am just curious because like I said my first dog I found at a year old so I don't know when she would get more energy...granted it's quite hot where I live at the moment and it makes everyone want to sleep lol!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
We got a Czech import for sport and he slept and played normally until about 8/9 months old. I was really worried he wouldn't even play with a toy!
And THEN!!!!! Oh my! He is 95% go unless he's sleeping! He pulls so hard when he tracks, a 250 pound guy can hardly hold him, does agility, he tubes, dives of a dock at a cabin we go to, jumps about 3 feet in the air to catch his frisbee and rides a jet ski going 35 miles per hour! He just Loves Life LARGE!!!!
Don't worry, she'll come around. Just try different toys to peek her interest when she IS active. Also if you act excited about the toy, she might too!
Also try and play "nose games" with her. Hide treats on a low level at first and then when she gets good at it start hiding them higher to make her use her nose! Put her in a room, hide a smelly high value treat like liver, and then go back into the room and give it a name like "lets' FIND it....do you want to FIND it???" and say it excitedly, let her out of the room and say it a few more times in the general area the treat is until she finds it. Help her until she gets the hang of it. My dogs would actually scream while in the room! Lots of fun for both of you! ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
When it's hot or humid out Gunther won't get hyper until it's cooler out. During the day he just chills on the couch or floor until I take him on his walk, but then when we get back it's nap time again. I also do training through out the day and play with him. All I can say for the "stages" is keep on with the training especially at a young age. Get their foundation started and build on it. Gunther loves training and gets excited (circling my legs and sitting pretty every chance he gets) when I get his clicker out :)

I like to play "find the treat" or hide and seek with him :) it makes him use his nose and brain which I think is really the most important part of wearing out your pup.

Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1>>>>> i don't believe in the "stages" or this "period" or that "period".
training and socializing takes care of all the stages.

2>>>>> how do you know your pup will become more hyper?
you could have a calm dog.

Well so far she's been doing great likes to try to steal my flip flops once in a while but no excessive barking, she loves her crate, learns very quickly. And I did not mean to say I know my dog will be hyper it was more out of curiousity-
" I am just wondering if she was going to be over the top hyper would she have displayed this by now? ". I was just curious if some GS X puppies are already hyper at her age. I do however exercise her all the time so there is not really any chance of pent up energy.

@Momto2GSDs

Lol! That sounds like a lot of fun! You treat your dog to a lot of sports that great! And I think I will work on some more nose work.

I guess it's different for every dog but I figured I would ask and see what other people have experienced! Thanks for the replies!:)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
@Momto2GSDs

Lol! That sounds like a lot of fun! You treat your dog to a lot of sports that great! And I think I will work on some more nose work.

I guess it's different for every dog but I figured I would ask and see what other people have experienced! Thanks for the replies!:)
My pleasure!
Have fun with your Fur Baby and get lots of pictures! They grow up fast! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts