German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
I completely agree, how you train your dog and for what is completely your business.

But, I take offense to the fact that my dog is not "working" because she isn't trained in protection. Agility is a job, therapy dog is a job, pet is a job when done correctly of course.
We are currently grooming my female pup to help in the rehabilitation of our rescue dogs. She has great dog language, very balanced and has just enough grump to get the job done without going overboard. At 20 weeks she has been an asset already. That is her JOB :)

To each their own but you can't claim to know that while putting others down for their choices.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Valreegrl,

That's great that you do things with your dog, but go back a couple of pages and you will see that I said no such thing about a dog doing protection.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Adam you may love my girl then,lol She's approachable just no touching or she becomes agitated. Anyone can walk up to her outside and she completely ignores them, but the moment they want to reach down and pet her she barks:( She's amazing with me, my dh, and two young kids but has to be crated when company with small children are over because if they touch one of my kids she will jump up and try to bite them.

She's confident in many situations but a dog that barks at a stranger I'm engaged in a normal conversation with is not truly confident- it's like the little guy with Napoleon complex. She reacts before there is a reason too and that is not protection to me:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
:rofl:

It's been said that there are only 2 kinds of dogs:
German Shepherds and dogs that want to be German Shepherds. :gsdbeggin:
uhm..... not to throw cold water on that, but there are some dogs that not only don't want to be a GSD, they don't even really want to be a dog. (a couple of Great Pyrs come to my mind right off the bat.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Zoey,

No offence, but what your describing to me isn't the samething. It's tough to relate things over the internet so it's clear and so everyone understands it, but I will try. It's mostly my lack of writting ability not everyone elses ability to understand.

A dog that is uncomfortable with someone close by compeletly ignoring it is a fearfull responce. She is telling you that I'm not comfortable with people near me by barking. This is from an untrained dog I presume.

What other types of behavior does she display? Low submissive body posture, ears back, tail tucked or hung low, backing up if people engage her verbaly or approach her, avoidance behaviors like not making eye contact or looking away if people make eye contact with her. These are a few really obvious behaviors.

My dog will sit attentively by my side in the same circumstances. She's not uncomfortable with the idea of the person in front of me being there, she's watching them. No vocalization, no eye or head shifting looking around for a way out. She sits there looking in your eyes with an intense stare waiting for you to step out of line. She's trained and ready to do her job. Her reaction to someone touching her isn't don't touch me I don't like it, it's simply don't touch me.

I hope this makes sence and you can see the difference.

In the heel position she will

61 - 66 of 66 Posts