German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't get your panties in a knot, it was a typo.

I don't disagree with what your saying, none of the dogs I've raised and trained react to people this way, but they haven't been from the same Czech lines. The two from my litter that are very sharp have gone to experienced people that know how to handle and raise this type of dog.

The almost 5 month old pup I have here, isn't going anywhere near as outwardly aggresive towards people as his mother. I would never place a dog with someone that couldn't handle it or without giving them a complete understanding of the dog.

I'm not knocking you, but looking at what you do with your dogs, do you have any experience with this type of dog?

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
As I have said, I am not into working line dogs. They are not my cup of tea. I take my dogs to shows, and training, and compete in obedience, rally, some herding and agility. Not into protection training.

If this is your first litter, and you have not had these Czech lines before, how do you know that the dog will be 100% socialized by 18 weeks.

In some schools 3-16 weeks is the socialization period, but most people hold that you continue to socialize extensively for the first year or so. Older dogs that have been rescued begin socialization much later and make good progress. I would think that cutting off all socialization after 18 weeks would cause the dog to depend even more highly on their owners. GSDs do not need to be any more dependent on their owners than they are. Some do not like to be more than so many feet away from their owners. That is stifling and unnecessary.

I find some of your statements really hard to take and so unnecessary. I would NEVER say "don't get your panties in a knot." You do not KNOW me. That is like, I don't know, it must be cultural. I mean, would you like for me to say, "you're getting your gotchies all rumpled"???

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
hey another thing that was said to me is people dont need to touch ur dog ur dog should be aloof and in public should be comfortable around people but no one should touch your dog
Socialization is very important. If you don't let anyone touch your dog as a puppy during their first few months (and continue with socialization as they grow), they may either become indiscriminately aggressive or just terrified of strangers. Neither of those are a good thing unless you plan to keep your dog where they will never interact with people other than you for their whole lives (forget about vet visits without sedation for instance...)

If your goal is a protection/working dog, you still need to socialize them as a puppy to as many people/situations as possible. A properly socialized dog will recognize a true threat, and unsocialized dog will probably consider most everyday situations to be a threat and that is a lawsuit waiting for happen.

As far as whether you let strangers pet your adult GSD, that is totally personal preference. Just because you let people pet your dog does not mean they won't be protective or won't be a good working dog. You just need to teach them to discriminate and that it is ok to get petted when you give permission, but not ok when they are working for example. If you are not going to let anyone touch your dog however, you still need to teach your dog to accept handling for vet visits and things like that.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't know anything about service or working dogs. We just wanted a family dog :)Socializing with Mac was a huge priority for us because we want him involved with everything we do. He wants to play with every dog he sees and always wants everyone to pet him. He's not even a little bit aloof...like I've heard is common for GSD's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Selzer,

Gotcha, your not in to GSD's enough said. Thanks for the imput.

I stop allowing people to pet my dog in public at 18 weeks old, this doesn't mean socializing them comes to an abrupt end. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

You're pretty thin skinned I take it?

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Selzer,

Gotcha, your not in to GSD's enough said. Thanks for the imput.

I stop allowing people to pet my dog in public at 18 weeks old, this doesn't mean socializing them comes to an abrupt end. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

You're pretty thin skinned I take it?
Why do you insist on being offensive. I am not into working line dogs. You are. You may or may not be into show line dogs. This is a forum for working lines, AND showlines. All the different working lines. All the different showlines. We do not kick out the white ones either.

I think it is is crazy to stop letting anyone touch your dog at eighteen weeks of age, but if that works for you. I am also not into owning a dog that will bite an adult if it tries to pet it, cannot afford that kind of liability, but if that works for you.

But to say I am not into GSDs enough because I do not ascribe to YOUR tastes in what a GSD should be -- that is just wrong.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Our situation is cut and dried and quite simple.we take our dogs everywhere.we bring them on vacation,we bring them when we camp,we bring them to work on construction sites ect.they have to be tolerant dogs.they understand what we expect of them and that includes that we are bringing them into a public place and should conform to that situation accordingly,yes i believe people or children should know that you have to ask before petting a strange dog but that is not always the case.nothing ever is.
Our dogs ,even with very different personalities and drives,knows that biting is/will not be tolerated.in order to know that every stranger is not dangerous they have been exposed constantly from a young age to many.yet i have no doubt about oso that he will protect me when needed.acero is still too young yet.
We live near a main highway and have had an incident where we had 3 men come in that made me nervous and frankly worried.they told me they were selling trees that they had dug up on crown land.honestly they looked like they had just went awol from the nearest prison.sorry to stereo type but thats the way it was.i told them i was not intrested and he refused to leave.then the other two guys got out of the back seat of the truck and i swear they had this grin on their face that made me break out into a sweat.i thought that that was it i was going to be drug off and cut up into tons of tiny pieces.i remember hearing oso barking like crazy in his run and i kept thinking i should have brought him with me.i called his name and in the entire time that i have had him he's never gotten out ever even though it would not have taken him much effort to jump.he ran up next to me and gave my hand a lick and then turned on the guys.he jumped out!i took hold of his collar and told him to hold.the whole atmosphere changed after that.the 2 guys that got out last were back inside their truck in seconds flat.the older guy became real nervous and lost his cocky attitude.he tried to tell that he would give me a real good deal and they would even plant the trees.i told him no and that my husband was going to be home any second and he was not intrested in new trees and i told him to try the neighbours.he started scratching his head and then asked if he could have a glass of water and i said no and i would like him to leave.at that point oso started to growl,hackles raised and lip curl.i told him that he should go before he gets bitten.he decided then to leave.i have never been so scared up until oso got there.i swear oso had steak that night and i will never forget what he did that day.oso responded accordingly that day.even though i never said a word to him to protect he read my mind and my emotions as clear as day as if i had given him a verbal command.yet this same dog who had just shown the capabilities to protect me will be the same dog i could trust with any non threatning stranger and never have any doubt that he is safe amongst them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
why don't you train, teach and socialize your dog for you.
what kind of dog do you want? make your dog your dog.
you're worried about what people say, worry about what you want in
your dog.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Our situation is cut and dried and quite simple.we take our dogs everywhere.we bring them on vacation,we bring them when we camp,we bring them to work on construction sites ect.they have to be tolerant dogs.they understand what we expect of them and that includes that we are bringing them into a public place and should conform to that situation accordingly,yes i believe people or children should know that you have to ask before petting a strange dog but that is not always the case.nothing ever is.
Our dogs ,even with very different personalities and drives,knows that biting is/will not be tolerated.in order to know that every stranger is not dangerous they have been exposed constantly from a young age to many.yet i have no doubt about oso that he will protect me when needed.acero is still too young yet.
We live near a main highway and have had an incident where we had 3 men come in that made me nervous and frankly worried.they told me they were selling trees that they had dug up on crown land.honestly they looked like they had just went awol from the nearest prison.sorry to stereo type but thats the way it was.i told them i was not intrested and he refused to leave.then the other two guys got out of the back seat of the truck and i swear they had this grin on their face that made me break out into a sweat.i thought that that was it i was going to be drug off and cut up into tons of tiny pieces.i remember hearing oso barking like crazy in his run and i kept thinking i should have brought him with me.i called his name and in the entire time that i have had him he's never gotten out ever even though it would not have taken him much effort to jump.he ran up next to me and gave my hand a lick and then turned on the guys.he jumped out!i took hold of his collar and told him to hold.the whole atmosphere changed after that.the 2 guys that got out last were back inside their truck in seconds flat.the older guy became real nervous and lost his cocky attitude.he tried to tell that he would give me a real good deal and they would even plant the trees.i told him no and that my husband was going to be home any second and he was not intrested in new trees and i told him to try the neighbours.he started scratching his head and then asked if he could have a glass of water and i said no and i would like him to leave.at that point oso started to growl,hackles raised and lip curl.i told him that he should go before he gets bitten.he decided then to leave.i have never been so scared up until oso got there.i swear oso had steak that night and i will never forget what he did that day.oso responded accordingly that day.even though i never said a word to him to protect he read my mind and my emotions as clear as day as if i had given him a verbal command.yet this same dog who had just shown the capabilities to protect me will be the same dog i could trust with any non threatning stranger and never have any doubt that he is safe amongst them.
wow...what an intense story. I would have been freaking out if that happened to me. What an amazing dog.

I was just talking to my husband about Mac. He welcomes everyone into our house and nudges them for affection. I asked my husband if he thought Mac would protect us if there was an intruder or if he'd lick them. Its never been tested but my gut says he'd react the same as Oso. Thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
301 Posts
wow...what an intense story. I would have been freaking out if that happened to me. What an amazing dog.

I was just talking to my husband about mac. He welcomes everyone into our house and nudges them for affection. I asked my husband if he thought mac would protect us if there was an intruder or if he'd lick them. Its never been tested but my gut says he'd react the same as oso. Thanks for sharing your story.
i love my dogs truly,but after that day,when i look at him i cannot explain how proud i am of him.i always thought about how a real confrontation would end up and i am not disappointed.i believe any well adjusted and well loved dog will have a natural ability to sense when his loved ones need true help.
And i also believe good genetics bred into them will make all the diffrence in the world and make things oh so much easier.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
i love my dogs truly,but after that day,when i look at him i cannot explain how proud i am of him.i always thought about how a real confrontation would end up and i am not disappointed.i believe any well adjusted and well loved dog will have a natural ability to sense when his loved ones need true help.
And i also believe good genetics bred into them will make all the diffrence in the world and make things oh so much easier.
What you're saying makes sense.

One summer day I was in the porch and Mac was in the yard. The furnace repair guy walked right up to the door and Mac didn't even bark. I greeted the guy jokingly said "what a great watch dog, huh" and he said something like "just seeing him sitting there is scary" That makes me feel safe too. I wonder if Mac could sense that the man was ok even without seeing my reaction to him. Hmm....

·
Registered
655 Posts
I do not see why anyone would think that a working dog cannot be a friendly dog that can get along with people as well.

I was brought up with working dogs. By that I do not mean that there were working dogs around, I mean I was actively interacting with working dogs to the point that the dog served as my support while I learned to walk. My aunt was wheelchair bound so in addition to moving the cows as needed the dog helped her when he was not in the field. Rex made it possible for my aunt to babysit me from the time I was a toddler. Rex could still go chase off any predators and move the cows as necessary as well as being an active member of the family.

I know quite a few active LEO K9s that are very social when they are not working. Some of the nicest dogs off-duty become the most fearsome patrol animals when they have the cop-collar on. I think a balanced social life helps a work dog.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
The German Shepherd is a working dog end of story.
The German Shepherd Dog is many things.

It lands in the herding group.
Probably 90% of GSDs have no job and are only family companions.
Many GSDs are show dogs.
A small percentage are service dogs.
A very small percentage are seeing eye dogs.
A small percentage are police or military dogs.
A small percentage are guard/personal protection dogs.

Just because someone stops socializing their dog at eighteen weeks, and has a friend suit up in a bite suit and snap a whip around and manage to capture that on a u-tube type vid, does not mean they know the first thing about how to raise and train a good dog.

Maybe you do, maybe you don't. Pretty websites mean NOTHING. The proof is in the pudding so to speak, and at this point, you have not produced anything yet. I am not saying you will not.

But it will take more than a litter of six month old puppies and a u-tube video to change people's minds about not letting people pet dogs after eighteen weeks of age.

A dog with good character will not be harmed by allowing people to pet the dog while non-threatening and in public, working line or show line.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
The German Shepherd Dog is many things.

It lands in the herding group.
Probably 90% of GSDs have no job and are only family companions.
Many GSDs are show dogs.
A small percentage are service dogs.
A very small percentage are seeing eye dogs.
A small percentage are police or military dogs.
A small percentage are guard/personal protection dogs.
One of the things that make GSD's so attractive is the fact that they are so versatile. They can do ALL of these tasks and many others.
I also agree that a majority of GSD's are companions/pets. As someone who has had 4 police K9 dogs, I can tell you that having them show aggression or biting someone in a "non working" situation is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTIBLE, period. I cannot imagine having had one of my partners bite/nip/even growl at someone who attempted to pet it while we were out in public. We used to pick up food at a local chain of pet supply stores (it was donated by them) and part of the "deal" was that I'd bring the dogs in when I picked up food. The liabliity for the sheriff's office would be incredible if they were to act in that manner. I also beleive that the dog would have to be re-evaluated and possibly be retired if they exhibited that type of behaivor.
Most police K9's spend a lot more time doing demonstrations or generally interacting with the public than they do "in drive".
In 25 years of law enforcement, I've seen many times more demonstrations and public showings/interactions with my dogs than apprehension, tracking or detection work.

As for breeding/lines, I cannot speak with any authority. My first K9's came from the days when 99% of them were donated/rescued from shelters. (at least in the area where I worked)
I never had any of this type of problems with any of them.

Just my experience and observations.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Why do you insist on being offensive. I am not into working line dogs. You are. You may or may not be into show line dogs. This is a forum for working lines, AND showlines. All the different working lines. All the different showlines.
And blacks and whites and oversized, floppy-eared rescues. Even the occasional chocolate Pomeranian.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
I guess I should have said, pet lines, and line crosses, and even GSD wannabes.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
And blacks and whites and oversized, floppy-eared rescues. Even the occasional chocolate Pomeranian.
:rofl:

It's been said that there are only 2 kinds of dogs:
German Shepherds and dogs that want to be German Shepherds. :gsdbeggin:

21 - 40 of 66 Posts