German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey another thing that was said to me is people dont need to touch ur dog ur dog should be aloof and in public should be comfortable around people but no one should touch your dog

no one needs to touch your dog your dog is a sharp working german shepherd he is not a lab so say NO U CANT TOUCH HIM OKAY?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
This is old school. The best advice is to have as many people as possible pet your dog so your dog is comfortable in all settings with all kinds of people and then your dog will develop a been-there-done-that attitude and not care any more. It also makes your dog safer so he knows what is a threat and what isn't a threat and it's not just someone or something they haven't been exposed to.

I expect my dog to be able to go through a crowd of people and not bother anyone unless someone wants to pet him and then he's fine with it. He has to mind his manners when people pet him and that includes no jumping up and for kids or tippy old people, he sits or downs so he can't possibly knock them over by accident.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My male doesn't care to interacted with, but if people ask if they can pet him (particularly kids) I allow it. My female is still puppish anyway, but she loves attention from people.

Now, for people who come up to me and pet without asking, that is a no no.. thats more for their knowledge than my dogs though.. .that can go really bad with the wrong dog

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
GSD's are supposed to be aloof by nature of their breed. Nobody should touch your dog without permission first, it's just kind of rude. But there isn't any reason you can't allow people to pet your dog. I think that's a personal judgment call.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i thought so to i am afraid lots of people are idiots and will sneak up behind my dog and pet him but the breeder told me no one should hes no waterfall

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
Most people are not idiots, and I've never had anyone sneak up from behind. They are usually excited and you can see them coming. There isn't any reason to not let people pet your dog. If you shoo ppl away then he will learn there is something wrong with everyone. You want him to learn good people from bad people. Read what Elaine posted again. That's what you should be striving for.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
what if your dog doesnt like to be pet by anyone but you is that bad?
its not bad, but you need to be aware of that. My dog doesn't seek affection from anyone... me only sometimes. That being said, he doesn't react negatively to being pet. He just doesn't give a rip. He won't wag his tail because you're giving him googly noises and petting/scratching. He's just a loner lol. My female is a lap dog

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
Jax does not like attention from strangers. She tolerates it. Your dog doesn't have to want attention but they should accept it. I don't mean someone fawning over your dog. I would put a quick stop to that but your dog shouldn't become a danger if someone wants to pet him.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark is EXTREMELY affectionate with "his pack" which consists of me, my sister and my immediate family when they visit (another sister, Grandpa, and my Dad and Step-Mom) but that's it.

His best friend is a Golden Retriever who CRAVES attention from anyone and everyone. When we go for a walk, people are sooo offended because Stark will look at them and then totally ignore him while Buddy (the Golden) is all over people looking for love.

I get the "why doesn't he like me?" question quite a bit, this is from people who have known from 8-10 weeks old too. I always try to explain that he does like you, he just doesn't need to tell you that 24/7.

The Golden's owner is always trying to get Stark to snuggle with him, he'll call him over, give him a pat but wants Stark to come to him on his own and won't force it. I know the day will come when he will get that kiss or snuggle that he is looking for, but it will be on Stark's terms.. lol. For now, he is known as the "snobby GSD" (said with love of course).

I like my dog aloof, tolerant and friendly to stangers when he is needed but I like the fact that he thinks I hung the moon and looks only to me. :) Now, if my Grandpa was close, then I don't exsist.. Stark things he not only hung the moon but owns it too! Trader!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It depends on what you mean by he doesn't like to be petted. Your dog shouldn't mind or get freaked out in any way by strange people around him or petting him. If your dog really minds this, your dog is a huge lawsuit waiting to happen after he takes someones face off.

The more your dog is socialized and petted by people as a pup, the more they don't care who's touching them. I don't expect any dog to have to start wagging his tail and giving lickies to people, just be good about it.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
hes always watching he is very suspecious he doesnt trust them but **** never loose his nerve
Since I don't want my dog to walk around in a scary world where you can't trust anyone but me and must be on guard 100% of the time..............

I'd never do what you are suggesting. Gets a potential fear biter.

My dogs are a part of my life, not my body guard constantly on duty and afraid of everyone and what they may do to us. I want them to be comfortable in the world I live in that, let's see........I'm thinking........how many times have I been raped/murdered/robbed/attacked..........I'm thinking..............still thinking..................hm, can't come up with even once.

So since the VAST majority of the people I must be meeting are friends, family or neutral, I think that's the world I want my dog to confidently walk their way thru.

Happy dogs. Happy lives. 100% reliable at family reunions, hotels/motels, dog shows, hospitals, schools, in the city, in the country, EVERYWHERE. :wild: :wub: :wild:

·
Registered
803 Posts
You want your dog to be friendly especially as a puppy.
As he/she gets older you should know your dog and how they feel about people and go with that. Never force it. Let the dog control the meeting so that way they feel comfortable. Watch their body language. All about you knowing your dog.

My 6 month old Jax is very confident and loves everyone. He is a lover right now. In about 2 years I'll make him a killer...lol

My 2 yr old doesn't really care for people. He's a sharp dog and pretty much will sniff and then go about his business. I watch him carefully. I dont really let adults pet him but kids I don't mind and i take the time to teach a kid how to properly introduce themself to a dog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here when i walk my dog out in public sometimes kids walking by or people will reach out and touch him like put their hand on his back as they walk by let their hand run down his back i caught a couple doing that i did not say anything cause the dog loves it but still dog is a big scary shepherd

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had a border collie who was just a beautiful dog, and so everyone always wanted to pet the pretty dog when she was out with me on leash. However, she was a working dog, not a lap dog. She was particular and didn't like children, so I had to be particular with who touched her. It provided a good teachable moment for kids. Somtimes you don't get to pet the pretty dog. She wasn't agressive, she just didn't like their energy level, and the way the sometimes run up and thrust their arms out to pet the dog. I didn't have a problem with her around kids, they just couldn't aproach her like a bunch of wild animals. In fact she was one that I would take to schools on occasion for lessons on working animals.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
If you want to keep your dog at home in a concrete kennel with a top, and you want to do all the bathing yourself, and you want to take him on every vacation, and you want him to starve if you land in the hospital, and if you want to muzzle him for every vet visit, well go ahead and follow that advice.

If not, get a puppy from a good breeder and start with puppy classes, and socialize your puppy well.

No, everyone in creation does not need to pet or play with your dog. Yes, you can say no, if you think that is in your best interest or the dog's.

But not letting your dog meet people and be petted will mean that if ever you cannot provide a home for your dog, a rescue might not be willing or able, and a shelter will put him down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seltzer,

Socialization for a puppy is extremely important and if done properly a pup at 18 weeks old isn't going to scared of people or aggressive if they aren't touched anymore. If you want a pet than who cares, but how does a working dog benifit from seeing people as petting machines in places it's supposed to do a job? I'm not talking just protection dogs, but any service animal.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Adam, PLEASE spell my name correctly. It is my surname and I am a bit touchy about it. It is Selzer -- no T in it. No T in my full name. So please leave it out of there.

I have aloof shepherds. They NEVER run up to people for pets. They do not bite people who try to pet them. They would rather everyone on earth drop dead except for me. But they will tolerate it if I let someone pet my dog.

There is no reason why no one should EVER touch your dog.

You know where this is really an issue? The vet. The vet tells me that the police dogs are terrible. They are scared to death there and they have a hard time working with them.

My dogs on the other hand, can be taken in back for bloodwork or it can be done with me present. They can pet, listen to, debride a wound, whatever they need to do to my dogs. No problem.

A dog should be able to walk out confidently with their owner. If someone asks to pet the dog, the owner should feel comfortable saying yes or no, but not because the dog migh chew on the person.

And if this dog is already five months old, than he has been socialized by the breeder, not the new owner. There is no bond of trust built up with the new owner yet. No way would this be ok. That is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts